NOM CALL FOR ACTION!!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

NOM CALL FOR ACTION!!!

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:32 pm

Let's shine some light on spiritual brutality!

Our friend Consiglieri has verified to me that Bill Reel would greatly appreciate a show of support at his Execution of Love so I am calling on all of my NOM friends to help.

How you can help me:

1) Join me in a carpool or caravan to St. George to make a physical showing on November 27th.

2) Contact news agencies and other disseminators of information. Alert them that the church is chopping off yet another former bishop for the crime of honest disagreement and exercising his 1st Amendment right. Let them know that a lot of people are going to show up in support. The more concerned people they hear from the more likely they are to provide coverage.

3) Blast social media and forums with the news and an invitation to join the rally (I am a social media Luddite, so this is where I really need help).

I realize that showing up for the a live rally will require some sacrifice of time and probably missing some work, school, whatever. I intend to drive down and back the same day, returning in the wee hours by the grace of caffeine and camaraderie. I have room for 3 or 4 passengers. I'm hoping some of you can join me, or better yet, form additional carpools.

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Re: NOM CALL FOR ACTION!!!

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:17 pm

Seeing if I can clear the schedule that day, looks iffy. It's times like these I could use a good social media footprint on FB or Twitter but I can post something on my IG next week.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Wouldn't efforts to stop the court be a better use of time? Dehlin, Kelly, and Young all had large support groups and the result was the same.

What if everyone started calling the COB to protest?

"If Bill gets exed I'm not paying tithing" seems like it would be more effective?

Can someone start an online petition with a running tally of lost tithing revenue?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Just need to add some lost tithing $$ to this graph:

https://quitmormon.com/queueTimes
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:40 pm

We could turn it into an "Amnesty International" type of campaign - ie - post a few addresses for people to write letters to, share their story of how Bill's podcasts helped them etc. I like how Sam Young has his website set up - sharing everyone's stories. It could be similar, only the stories shared could be just the stories of all the listeners.

Give it a Thanksgiving theme - notes of thanks, collect them, show the impact.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Unfortunately they ignored Bill's requests to reschedule on a weekend. I think this was intentional to limit the number of people who could get away midweek.
SupportBill.png
SupportBill.png (92.41 KiB) Viewed 6787 times
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:41 pm
Wouldn't efforts to stop the court be a better use of time?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh wait, you're serious.

It's a great idea, but I seriously think any such efforts would fall on deaf ears. Great and Spacious Building finger pointers, Satan's opposition, and all that. I really don't think there's anything we can do for Bill except support him and in doing so try to embarrass the church, since that seems to be the only emotion they understand (besides grinchiness).

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:58 pm

I intend to make some signage.

Here are some off-the-top-of-my-head ideas. Suggestions for others?

-Side 1: Picture of Dallin Oaks “We do not criticize our leaders, even when they are wrong...”
-Side 2: Why Not?!

-Don’t shoot the messenger!

-Cut off his head and he will sprout 1000 more.

-Authority Trumps Honesty

-Why does the church fear truth?

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:11 pm
Unfortunately they ignored Bill's requests to reschedule on a weekend. I think this was intentional to limit the number of people who could get away midweek.
SupportBill.png
Quite devious to schedule the excommunication on a Tuesday night. It makes sense, however, since the best skullduggery is accomplished in shadow and without witnesses.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:59 am

Here's a petition in support of Bill. It's entirely pointless because it doesn't make any requests or demands, just a sign of support. People like to do something even when there's nothing they can do. I signed it. Why not?

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sh ... -reel.html

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:20 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:15 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:41 pm
Wouldn't efforts to stop the court be a better use of time?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh wait, you're serious.

It's a great idea, but I seriously think any such efforts would fall on deaf ears. Great and Spacious Building finger pointers, Satan's opposition, and all that. I really don't think there's anything we can do for Bill except support him and in doing so try to embarrass the church, since that seems to be the only emotion they understand (besides grinchiness).
It's my suspicion that the gathering for at Bill's stake center would also fall on deaf ears, at least within the institutional church. I can accept that it would be of support for Bill. Can I arrange for pizza delivery for that evening? That might be a bigger support.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:35 am

Corsair wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:20 am
It's my suspicion that the gathering for at Bill's stake center would also fall on deaf ears, at least within the institutional church. I can accept that it would be of support for Bill. Can I arrange for pizza delivery for that evening? That might be a bigger support.
Yeah, you're probably right. For me the point is more that if enough people show up to get some media attention more folks are likely to perk up and say, "hey, waitaminute..."

I have contacted all of the media agencies I can think of. Let's see if any of them show up. Another way to show support is to add additional voices to news tip lines. Squeaky wheel. I will post contact information for those later.

As for pizza, the time and address are on the invitation. The rest is up to you. ;)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Here are some Utah local outlets you might want to hit up. The more they hear from concerned Mormons who have no direct relationship to Bill, but who don't like the way church is dealing with members who exercise their freedom of speech, the more likely this will help the church get another much-deserved black eye:

KUTV Channel 2: newsdesk@kutv2.com

KTVX Channel 4: https://www.abc4.com/contact/news

KSL Channel 5: https://www.ksl.com/?sid=24910639 (account needed, but probably not worth the effort - church owned)

Fox 13 news: news@fox13now.com

Salt Lake Tribune: newsroom@sltrib.com

Deseret News: :lol:

KCPW/KPCW radio: radionews@kpcw.org

Radio West: dfabrizio@kuer.org

I tried to find news tip contact on the St. George Spectrum but it just seems to be a USA Today feed.

TapirSignal.JPG
TapirSignal.JPG (57.97 KiB) Viewed 6635 times

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:34 pm

Don't forget the St. George News & Testifier or the Iron County Exhorter.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:06 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:34 pm
Don't forget the St. George News & Testifier or the Iron County Exhorter.
Oh yeah, and the Washington County Denouncer and the Dixie Castigator.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:22 pm

I saw a brief story about Bill on KUTV news night before last, and here's an article they ran on their blog Tuesday:

https://kutv.com/news/local/former-bish ... ry-council
A church spokesman told the St. George News that the decision to hold a council for Reel was an entirely local decision...
I guess it must be pants-on-fire season.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:42 pm

I noticed on Reddit that both John Dehlin and Sam Young are headed to St George.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:04 pm

Some fun little signs I made for the gathering:
Signs Group_sm.jpg
Signs Group_sm.jpg (226.69 KiB) Viewed 6368 times