Gina Colvin called for disciplinary council

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Thoughtful

Gina Colvin called for disciplinary council

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Per her FB account.

Anyone traveling up to NZ for support?

Seriously though, TSCC is certainly culling the flock of those speaking out against dishonesty of leaders, child abuse, and exclusivity.

Hagoth

Re: Gina Colvin called for disciplinary council

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Follow the prophet... or else!

ETA: isn't it curious that all of these local leaders independantly decided to start cleaning house on people who are not accused of sin, but of questioning authority.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:27 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:14 pm
Follow the prophet... or else!

ETA: isn't it curious that all of these local leaders independantly decided to start cleaning house on people who are not accused of sin, but of questioning authority.
Right??

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:48 pm

Was just coming here to post about this.

I find her so brave and honest. So, while I wasn’t surprised I felt....bereft. There will be soon no voices left in the church that I relate to and yet I’m stuck here....

Today during a meeting the PH gently reproached the women (it was a woman’s meeting) for overstepping and reminded us to remember who holds the keys and, in case we weren’t sure, it’s not us. The topic was absolutely under our domain based on the handbook but apparently how we chose to approach it looked like women talking too much or acting too much like leaders.

They’ll continue to remove anyone that doesn’t fall in line.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:00 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:48 pm

I find her so brave and honest. So, while I wasn’t surprised I felt....bereft. There will be soon no voices left in the church that I relate to and yet I’m stuck here....

Today during a meeting the PH gently reproached the women (it was a woman’s meeting) for overstepping and reminded us to remember who holds the keys and, in case we weren’t sure, it’s not us. The topic was absolutely under our domain based on the handbook but apparently how we chose to approach it looked like women talking too much or acting too much like leaders.

I think so too. Feminists, homosexuals, and intellectuals are still on the chop block.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:02 pm

Anon70 wrote:

Today during a meeting the PH gently reproached the women (it was a woman’s meeting) for overstepping and reminded us to remember who holds the keys...
I think I found a picture of that meeting:
Idea: bunch of liberal Mormon women could start showing up at General Conference dressed like this, just to make a point.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:44 pm

I thought Gina Colvin had given notice of leaving Mormonism. Is this the equivalent of saying "You can't quit, we fire you?"

Why bother doing this?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:16 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:02 pm
Anon70 wrote:

Today during a meeting the PH gently reproached the women (it was a woman’s meeting) for overstepping and reminded us to remember who holds the keys...
Idea: bunch of liberal Mormon women could start showing up at General Conference dressed like this, just to make a point.
It’d be funny if it wasn’t so maddening :) and I’m too chicken to do much but quietly whisper and nudge in the background.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:53 am

Didn't she join another church?

From the CHI1 under the section "When a disciplinary council is mandatory"
Apostasy
5. Formally join another church and advocate its teachings.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:45 am

nibbler wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:53 am
Didn't she join another church?

From the CHI1 under the section "When a disciplinary council is mandatory"
Apostasy
I formally join the Church of the Great Blue Dome back in 2014 and have been publicly been advocating it's teaching ever since. Why did I not get ex'ed? :mrgreen:
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:25 am

Apostasy
[/quote]
Do you think the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the Church of the Latter-Day Dude count? If so, then if I mention to my bishop that I am an ordained minister of both wouldn't he be compelled to call the inquisition on me?

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:32 am

Anon70 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:16 am
Hagoth wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:02 pm
Anon70 wrote:

It’d be funny if it wasn’t so maddening :) and I’m too chicken to do much but quietly whisper and nudge in the background.
Would be funny for about 100 people to walk into general conference dressed like this.
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:50 am

Best if they were white. Then the can show how light and delight some they are in their purity.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:03 am

Anon70 wrote:

Yes^^^
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:14 am

I had to go back and look at her latest blog to determine her tone. Looks like she's been pointing out the sex abuse cover ups, hitting against authority, and promoting unauthorized funeral potato recipes. So not surprisingly they are kicking her out.

I'm 100% certain this is coming down straight from the top leader of the church! Why Wendy would go after someone like this is so confusing to me. I thought she was more Christ like than this!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:38 am

We are running out of reform voices that remain in relatively good standing in the church. The list keeps growing and I'm not sure who might be left to kick out after Gina Colvin and Bill Reel get told to not let the door hit them on the way out.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:19 pm

Which of us are going to step up and take Gina’s place as a voice of reason toward the church? We are running out of vocal opposers who haven’t been excommunicated yet.
~2bizE

Emower

Post by Emower » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:19 pm

2bizE wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:19 pm
Which of us are going to step up and take Gina’s place as a voice of reason toward the church? We are running out of vocal opposers who haven’t been excommunicated yet.
I am standing up ... and walking out the freakin door. I love both Johns, Bill, Consig, Dan, Gina, and all the others that produce stuff that opened my eyes, but I will not advocate for anyone else to waste time on this stuff. I am kind of bummed that John Larson is getting sucked back in. I have been told many times by those of you here on this board to have an exit plan and to stick with it. Whether or not you can physically implement that plan, I think it is imperative that everyone implements it mentally. I have not been successful yet at getting out mentally, but I am working on it. And starting a podcast is certainly not the way to get out.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:38 am
We are running out of reform voices that remain in relatively good standing in the church. The list keeps growing and I'm not sure who might be left to kick out after Gina Colvin and Bill Reel get told to not let the door hit them on the way out.
2bizE wrote:

I might be crazy, but I don't think it really matters if new folks step up to offer a "voice" of opposition. The younger (and future) generations are really not going to put up with the corporation's dishonesty and gaslighting. Kids don't buy into how cool polygamy and magic rocks were, and they especially don't think polygamy and magic rocks will be cool in the afterlife. Add the blatant bigotry, and I honestly don't see an end to the decline of "members" of the corporation masquerading as a church. It's not disappearing any time soon, but the statistics don't lie about the decline, no matter how much the bigots at the top would like those statistics to follow the prophet and lie, lie, lie...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:18 pm

Emower wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:19 pm
2bizE wrote:
I am standing up ... and walking out the freakin door. I love both Johns, Bill, Consig, Dan, Gina, and all the others that produce stuff that opened my eyes, but I will not advocate for anyone else to waste time on this stuff. I am kind of bummed that John Larson is getting sucked back in. I have been told many times by those of you here on this board to have an exit plan and to stick with it. Whether or not you can physically implement that plan, I think it is imperative that everyone implements it mentally. I have not been successful yet at getting out mentally, but I am working on it. And starting a podcast is certainly not the way to get out.
I find that as I care less I am not here or on reddit or listening to podcasts as much. And I’m more content. Then something bubbles up (excommunications or Mormon leaks) and I’m enraged and back here engaged. I think you’re right-I need to start executing a mental disassociation plan and I wonder if it will lead to a physical one.