Gina Colvin called for disciplinary council

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Re: Gina Colvin called for disciplinary council

Post by 2bizE » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:32 am

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:34 pm
Corsair wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:38 am
We are running out of reform voices that remain in relatively good standing in the church. The list keeps growing and I'm not sure who might be left to kick out after Gina Colvin and Bill Reel get told to not let the door hit them on the way out.
2bizE wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:19 pm
Which of us are going to step up and take Gina’s place as a voice of reason toward the church? We are running out of vocal opposers who haven’t been excommunicated yet.

I might be crazy, but I don't think it really matters if new folks step up to offer a "voice" of opposition. The younger (and future) generations are really not going to put up with the corporation's dishonesty and gaslighting. Kids don't buy into how cool polygamy and magic rocks were, and they especially don't think polygamy and magic rocks will be cool in the afterlife. Add the blatant bigotry, and I honestly don't see an end to the decline of "members" of the corporation masquerading as a church. It's not disappearing any time soon, but the statistics don't lie about the decline, no matter how much the bigots at the top would like those statistics to follow the prophet and lie, lie, lie...
I think you may be right. How many millennial activists are fighting vocally against the church? None that I know of. They are speaking loudly with their wallets and by just walking away and starting a new life. Maybe it is harder for us older folks. It is hard to walk away from something we have dedicated so much time and money to; too many relationships to up-end. It’s hard, but there are some who are vocal and helping us older folks see the light.
~2bizE

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:43 am

That's unfortunate, I'm a big fan of Gina.

But on this, she's absolutely correct, it's such hypocrisy for the church to have outreach and foster ecumenical efforts to other religions, but then excommunicate members who have the audacity to join other churches. What a stupid policy. Now, if I join the Methodists and try to make the church Methodist, I can see some consternation in the local leadership and some verbal warnings to be careful, but my goodness, not excommunication. Isn't that a little extreme?

The church's continued embrace of early modern Calvinism is going to be its undoing, methinks.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

græy

Post by græy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:44 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:14 am
I'm 100% certain this is coming down straight from the top leader of the church! Why Wendy would go after someone like this is so confusing to me. I thought she was more Christ like than this!
:lol: :D
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:40 am

Mormorrisey wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:43 am
That's unfortunate, I'm a big fan of Gina.

But on this, she's absolutely correct, it's such hypocrisy for the church to have outreach and foster ecumenical efforts to other religions, but then excommunicate members who have the audacity to join other churches. What a stupid policy.
Hypocrisy and stupid policies are the order of the day/century for this church. I dont know what they think the converts in 50 years are going to be like?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:28 am

Mormorrisey wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:43 am
But on this, she's absolutely correct, it's such hypocrisy for the church to have outreach and foster ecumenical efforts to other religions, but then excommunicate members who have the audacity to join other churches. What a stupid policy.
I've thought for quite a while that mormonism is a lot like grade-school. This is just further proof of that: The Q15 are the leaders of their "Boys Rule!" grade-school club. They're so cool that they even let girls join their "Boys Rule!" club, but if any club member dares join any other clubs, the Q15 will kick them out of the "Boys Rule!" club. Club loyalty beyond all else!!! (It's really actually just loyalty to the Q15, but don't tell anyone that.)

It would be funny, except that the Q15-bigots actually believe they have the power to revoke someone's "eternal blessings." (Well... They claim to / pretend to believe that they have that sort of power.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Emower wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:19 pm
I am standing up ... and walking out the freakin door. I love both Johns, Bill, Consig, Dan, Gina, and all the others that produce stuff that opened my eyes, but I will not advocate for anyone else to waste time on this stuff. I am kind of bummed that John Larson is getting sucked back in. I have been told many times by those of you here on this board to have an exit plan and to stick with it. Whether or not you can physically implement that plan, I think it is imperative that everyone implements it mentally. I have not been successful yet at getting out mentally, but I am working on it. And starting a podcast is certainly not the way to get out.
I have not been able to get out. However, I could imagine that John Larsen is at a point in his faith that talking about the church may not be as emotional anymore. Sort of like talking about an ex-significant other that you have finally moved on from. I do like listening to podcasts by people who know the church well enough to comment intelligently. As long as I am attending church, I'll need outlets like that. So, I'm glad that people are willing.

Getting back to Gina's excommunication, this whole thing stinks. It feels like we're all supposed to be scared by the actions.

Stig

Post by Stig » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:55 pm

blazerb wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm
Emower wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:19 pm
I am standing up ... and walking out the freakin door. I love both Johns, Bill, Consig, Dan, Gina, and all the others that produce stuff that opened my eyes, but I will not advocate for anyone else to waste time on this stuff. I am kind of bummed that John Larson is getting sucked back in. I have been told many times by those of you here on this board to have an exit plan and to stick with it. Whether or not you can physically implement that plan, I think it is imperative that everyone implements it mentally. I have not been successful yet at getting out mentally, but I am working on it. And starting a podcast is certainly not the way to get out.
I have not been able to get out. However, I could imagine that John Larsen is at a point in his faith that talking about the church may not be as emotional anymore. Sort of like talking about an ex-significant other that you have finally moved on from. I do like listening to podcasts by people who know the church well enough to comment intelligently. As long as I am attending church, I'll need outlets like that. So, I'm glad that people are willing.

Getting back to Gina's excommunication, this whole thing stinks. It feels like we're all supposed to be scared by the actions.
Here's the mentality...

Excommunication is the Death Star of the LDS Empire.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:58 pm

blazerb wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm
I appreciate those people as well. I am just tired of getting sucked in by stuff, including interesting podcasts. I wish you, and I, and everyone else could leave a light on, and go forth to live life. But if there is an important conversation to be had, someone has to start it.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:39 pm

Why does the handbook make such a big deal out of joining another denomination? If they don't believe other churches have authority, then it's just for show, and if they were to show love instead of petty indignation, then maybe people would decide to come back.

This whole disciplinary thing is very 19th century. My ancestors are baptists and I see these types of controversies in old church records. If you didn't show up for church, then they'd form a committee to find out why. If they didn't like the answer, then they might "exclude" you. People got excluded for getting drunk, immoral behavior, and for joining other congregations without getting permission. It was the practice to petition for a release and then receive a letter to give to your new congregation that you left in good standing. What we see happening in Mormonism used to be the norm for most christian congregations. Everyone else evolved, but Mormonism stood still.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

alas

Post by alas » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:52 pm

I don’t think it s just about her joining another church. If you read her last blog, it is very critical of both current leaders and the founders. When I read it, just after Oct conference, I was pretty sure it would end her membership.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:23 am

nibbler wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:53 am
Apostasy
5. Formally join another church and advocate its teachings.
This seems all wrong. I think the best thing to do is love them coming or going. A movie from the 60's suggested that if you love something, to set it free. It might return or it might not. Either way, it exercised free agency and you heeded the words of Jesus by withholding judgment and condemnation. Wish them well on their spiritual journey.

Only a peckish bird would begrudge Jonathan Livingston Seagull his flight.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha