New Years Resolutions

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Korihor

New Years Resolutions

Post by Korihor » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:01 pm

I know this is a little early, but it's on my mind. I would like to better plan out my goals for next year instead of doing it Jan 3.
I feel like 2017 could be my best year ever! 2015-16 were a tie for the most revolutionary years.

Right now I'm just brainstorming, but looking for suggestions from the peanut gallery.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

TheRunningmom

Re: New Years Resolutions

Post by TheRunningmom » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:47 pm

What about a family resolution? It would be great to have a goal you're all working on together.
Last edited by TheRunningmom on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Liberated Me

Post by Liberated Me » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:49 pm

How about you find a secular tribe as one of your goals? What are your hobbies or better yet, What have you been wanting to try but never considered a plan on how to make it happen? Paragliding? Toastmasters? Spelunking? Master Free Diver? Make this be The year you pursued a dream-hobby!
“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.” ~Nelson Mandela~
"Judging others does not define them, it defines you ...."
~Wayne Dyer~

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:03 pm

I love new year's resolutions. And I love them more now that I'm not a believer. When I was TBM goals had a tinge of guilt or shame--like I'd never be good enough.

Now it's just joyful. I've got hikes on my list, improving my SUP skills, coming up with a solid plan for transitioning out of the church, creating a new me-mission statement. Doing a better job at saving for retirement :)

2017 is gonna be good

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:14 pm

I love setting goals for the New Year. I agree that now it is nice to just set the goal for me and not feel guilty about never being good enough (like if I set a goal to go to the temple once a month it would've been better if I did it once a week, nothing was ever good enough).

I like to think in categories and choose one for each area then prioritize what is most important or most pressing. Health/fitness related goals, intellectual goals (take a class, or read a certain number of books), social goals (maybe be a better friend to a specific person, go on monthly date night with spouse, read 2 parenting books), spiritual goal (work on living in the present moment, meditation, etc.), financial goal (stick to a budget better, improve income, etc.)
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

Newme

Post by Newme » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:12 pm

I was watching a clip by Jim Rohne (love that man) who suggested writing at least 50 goals for the next 10 years...
Then breaking them down. And it helps to review them regularly. Some goals are discipline - like cutting back on sugar etc. - not real exciting, but still good for you. Other goals really make life feel more exciting - like hike Swiss Alps or horse back ride on a Caribbean beach.

One year, a friend did something that scared her every day of the year - everything from having a conversation with a stranger, to sky-diving.
Anon70 wrote:I've got hikes on my list...
Me too! But it'll be when it's warmer. Which hikes?

Newme

Post by Newme » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:25 pm

trophywife26.2 wrote:I love setting goals for the New Year. I agree that now it is nice to just set the goal for me and not feel guilty about never being good enough (like if I set a goal to go to the temple once a month it would've been better if I did it once a week, nothing was ever good enough).

I like to think in categories and choose one for each area then prioritize what is most important or most pressing. Health/fitness related goals, intellectual goals (take a class, or read a certain number of books), social goals (maybe be a better friend to a specific person, go on monthly date night with spouse, read 2 parenting books), spiritual goal (work on living in the present moment, meditation, etc.), financial goal (stick to a budget better, improve income, etc.)
I'm still working on not beating myself up when I don't rise to my (sometimes) unrealistically high ideals. I'm trying to focus on what I've done well - to be more encouraging.

Categories help me too - to remember all of the different aspects... for me it's:
Physical - eat less sugar and breath deeper
Intellectual - study psychology - esp. Carl Jung
Emotional - don't yell so much, calm down and be a better example of emotional intelligence
Spiritual - bring more shadow aspects to light, learn Tai Chi 24 movements
Social - forgive, don't hold grudges - keep boundaries when needed, but still love. Communicate better.
Practical - organize the house, cook different ethnic foods
Financial - work more