Tithing Settlement Invitation

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Tithing Settlement Invitation

Post by Linked » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:55 am

I was greeted by a member of the bishopric when I stopped by priesthood opening exercises to announce stake basketball yesterday. He wasted no time and immediately asked if I wanted to set up a meeting with the bishop for tithing settlement. I was not prepared. I "ummed" for a moment and responded "not really" and laughed nervously. He said "Ok, well you know how to reach us, and DW does too."

I wish they would not ask me at all, much less in public, it is very stressful. But, I was pretty happy with his response. DW is not interested in tithing settlement either.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

slavereeno

Re: Tithing Settlement Invitation

Post by slavereeno » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:18 pm

Linked wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:55 am
DW is not interested in tithing settlement either.
Wow is this progress? or just avoidance of problems?

My DW scheduled us early and I went to our tithing settlement this year and pretended to gobble that crap up like a public toilet during halftime.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:49 pm

We got an assigned time by ward clerk text.

No paperwork. Just a friendly 5 minute visit focused on the teenagers followed by a quick declaration. He asked kids and wife, they declared full status. Then he looked at me and asked if anything changed. I replied "Nope", then he challenged me to "get there."

Wife commented that she didn't feel any anxiety this year over it because she didn't have to set the appointment, worry about it, and feel a sense of embarrassment.

I didn't get anxious and worry about it because I don't use public porta potties at half time!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:56 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:18 pm
Linked wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:55 am
DW is not interested in tithing settlement either.
Wow is this progress? or just avoidance of problems?

My DW scheduled us early and I went to our tithing settlement this year and pretended to gobble that crap up like a public toilet during halftime.
Not progress, that is just how my DW is. She hates interviews, it is a social situation that makes her very uncomfortable. She is as devout as ever.

Sorry to hear you had to play public toilet!

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:49 pm
We got an assigned time by ward clerk text.

No paperwork. Just a friendly 5 minute visit focused on the teenagers followed by a quick declaration. He asked kids and wife, they declared full status. Then he looked at me and asked if anything changed. I replied "Nope", then he challenged me to "get there."

Wife commented that she didn't feel any anxiety this year over it because she didn't have to set the appointment, worry about it, and feel a sense of embarrassment.

I didn't get anxious and worry about it because I don't use public porta potties at half time!
I'm glad the Ryder home had a non-anxiety filled tithing settlement. If we can't avoid them, at least make them painless...
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

aoirselvar

Post by aoirselvar » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:19 pm

My DW went without me, with all the kids. I had already told a bishopric member my situation, including a request to not give me callings where I would have to lie and no church talks. Also, no tithing settlement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slk

Post by slk » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 pm

Glad they don't bother us anymore. Had a chat with the bishop at the gas station a week ago and he made no mention of TS. We've had awesome bishoprics. When I would attend, I used to hate how they'd lay the guilt on you pretty thick starting in Oct. My least favorite talks were tithing talks. It is so nice not to listen to this BS anymore.