Giving Machines = reverse ATM

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
IT_Veteran

Re: Giving Machines = reverse ATM

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:04 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:31 am
Looks like the cost of two chickens cleared my bank. Online banking says I paid "Bonniville Communications".
which is interesting since that is a "for profit" arm of the church.

-lost
I think that answers my question about whether this comes from the PR budget or not...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Looks like the cost of two chickens cleared my bank. Online banking says I paid "Bonniville Communications".
:roll: Just when you thought it was safe to hope.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Bonneville Communications is a legitimate charity, no?

No? Are you sure?

Golly Gee Willikers, that's a surprise!

(For those who don't have a functioning magic rock (or magic hat?) to translate the above, It's Sarcasm.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:11 pm

Here's the disclaimer.
100 percent of your donation will be used for the purchased item or for similar items or services of greater need as determined by the applicable charitable organization. Administrative costs for this campaign and costs associated with its nonprofit partners are covered by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I'm assuming Bonniville Communications is the company administering this program. Any donation made to the giving machine is collected and accounted for by them, then passed on to the participating charitable organization. I'm sure this is a standard disclosure but it does open an issue with how and who determines "greater need"?

I don't belief this is a nefarious effort to con anyone as that's already being accomplished by the doctrine of giving the church 10% of your income through tithing & the temple recommend dynamic. :lol:

It is a PR campaign to highlight Mormonism and hopefully my wife's chicken donation will help some poor kids in a poor country enjoy eggs, chicken casserole, or even chicken wings for dinner while watching their satellite TV and lounging around in a tossed out Utah Jazz t-shirt!

As with any other charity, if you don't think your donation is making it's way to it's intended donee or is being diluted down by paying high administrative costs and high salaries of the charitable organization (ie Scouts), then simply don't give.

It's that simple.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:28 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30 pm
Red Ryder wrote:

No? Are you sure?

(For those who don't have a functioning magic rock (or magic hat?) to translate the above, It's Sarcasm.)
You don't even need a rock in a hat anymore...Google, answering the questions that God won't since 1998.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:31 am

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:28 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30 pm
Red Ryder wrote:

No? Are you sure?

You don't even need a rock in a hat anymore...Google, answering the questions that God won't since 1998.
Here you go
googlestone.png
googlestone.png (166.31 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:39 pm

LOL! I am honored :)