Preaching Bro. Jake to teachers

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Liberated Me

Preaching Bro. Jake to teachers

Post by Liberated Me » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:07 pm

I picked my children up from our local public Waldorf school today. My oldest child's teacher seemed eager to chat. (In Waldorf education the teacher moves up with the kids each year. So "Suzy" has had the same teacher, Ms. T for four years.) 4 years ago I shared with her during P/T conference that I was transitioning out of church. Surprisingly, about 20% of her students are Mormon even though Mormons are more like 4-5% of the general population here. Their class is currently studying leaders and social change, last week it was Mandela, this week it is Martin Luther. So Ms. T seemed happy that I was the last to pick up my kids from school today because she had some questions about whether Mormonism ( a couple of the mormon kids raised their hand to ask where their church fit into the religious history)was considered Protestant. We talked for a while, she knows of my husband's relatives up here that were recently excommunicated (they had an interview in the local paper and made the church look really bad)
She wanted to know all sorts of things about the beliefs once we got started talking. But I had to get my kids to piano lessons and so I did the next best thing......
..I forwarded her the YouTube video links of Brother Jake.!!! I decided to start her off with the Hamilton parody.
In closing, I want to bear testimony to all of you that watching Brother Jake's videos when I am very angry usually helps me turn my emotional energy into laughter. I know with every white blood cell in my body that he has restored joy to the apostates through his inspired media productions. It is through his YouTube channel that I now can share the message of irony with others in hopes that we all can bail ourselves out of the boat. In the name of entertainment and logic, Amen.
“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.” ~Nelson Mandela~
"Judging others does not define them, it defines you ...."
~Wayne Dyer~

Corsair

Re: Preaching Bro. Jake to teachers

Post by Corsair » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:15 pm

This is brilliant. You must keep us informed if and when something happens due to this glorious suggestion.

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:21 pm

That's awesome! After I read your post I had to go back and watch some "Brother Jake Explains". So funny, caught a few jokes in the pop ups I missed before.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:38 pm

I have also shared the brother Jake videos with my favorite non-mormon friends. They loved it. It's the most succint humorous guide to mormon culture and belief out there.

Liberated Me

Post by Liberated Me » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:01 pm

I told my husband that I shared the videos with her, he thought that I wasn't being very respectful but it didn't upset him too much. Not sure if there is really another succinct summary out there that doesn't come from a preaching angle. Do you any of you know of an objective yet concise summary of the church that isn't whitewashed but seems fair?
“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.” ~Nelson Mandela~
"Judging others does not define them, it defines you ...."
~Wayne Dyer~