Coffee 101

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
GoodBoy

Re: Coffee 101

Post by GoodBoy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:04 pm

I made a mistake... I learned that a Starbucks Macchiato has no real relation to an Italian macchiato, which is just espresso with a dollop of foamed milk in it. A Starbucks Macchiato, on the other hand, is basically foamed milk with some bonus flavors like vanilla syrup and caramel.

Also one that I forgot was a frappuccino. Frappuccino doesn't mean anything in Italian. It is just a word that Starbucks made up (and therefore is trademarked by Starbucks and other coffee shops can't use it). I assume the word is based on "frappe" for blended. It is made with espresso, milk, blended ice, and other sweet stuff added (like caramel), and with whip cream on the top.

I think that a Starbucks macchiato is pretty much the same as their Frappuccino, except they don't blend the ice up in a macchiato and try to make it look layered by not mixing it well.

Both of these are delicious, but kind of expensive, like pretty much everything that you would buy from Starbucks. They cost pretty much the same as an entire fast food meal. They are not low calorie, but probably less calories than that fast-food meal. :-)

Felt like a dork not knowing this stuff, so I had to look it up. Just thought I would share.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Random

Post by Random » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:55 pm

This was an informative thread. I appreciate that.

Coffee no longer puts me to sleep, but it does still calm me down and often makes me feel a bit tired. I don't drink it regularly, just when I think I need it. Again, I'm glad for the information posted here.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:21 pm

I want to thank you guy from introducing me to another coffee invention, the cold brew coffee picture. Before I have used a french press to make cold brew. I didn't know they made dedicated apparatus until I heard about them here. Some quick googling later and I had one on order for DW for Christmas. She is exited to try it out and it will likely get heavy use this summer.

Thank you guys!
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:22 pm

Cookies and Cream Stephens coco is a good mixer with regular drip coffee. One of two scoops and a little bit of whole milk makes a nice cup in the morning. I looked at a $2,300 espresso machine on Amazon, but it just wasn't in the budget this year. We just use a Mr. Coffee and buy beans with a little cheap grinder to make a couple of cups in the morning. The beans I get from some of the small shops in SLC or some good ones from the grocery store.

Anyone have a espresso maker? Are they worth the money and trouble? I'd never spend more than $400 on one, but maybe one for under that.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:20 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:22 pm
Anyone have a espresso maker? Are they worth the money and trouble? I'd never spend more than $400 on one, but maybe one for under that.
Just this guy has mentioned his espresso machine in other threads:
Just This Guy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm
Not right at the moment, but this morning it was a Burbon Caramel Mocha Expresso, homemade.

A couple weeks ago, I got one of these massively on sale:
http://www.mrcoffee.com/espresso-machin ... ml#start=7

So I have been experimenting with making my own espresso at home. I found that the local Walmart has a small selection of coffee syrups, so I have been playing around. DW is more than willing to support my experiments and to offer constructive feedback. I'm not going to be opening Cafe Zaphod anytime soon, but it is very enjoyable. Also way cheaper than going to a local coffee shop.

Cheaper alternatives: Get an Aeropress. It's not "true" espresso, but you can make much more concentrated "shots" with one, so it's close.

The next cheapest espresso-like device would be a Moka Pot. Ikea has their version for $20 and they go up from there in price.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Emower

Post by Emower » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:37 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:20 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:22 pm
Just this guy has mentioned his espresso machine in other threads:
Just This Guy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm
Not right at the moment, but this morning it was a Burbon Caramel Mocha Expresso, homemade.

A couple weeks ago, I got one of these massively on sale:
http://www.mrcoffee.com/espresso-machin ... ml#start=7

So I have been experimenting with making my own espresso at home. I found that the local Walmart has a small selection of coffee syrups, so I have been playing around. DW is more than willing to support my experiments and to offer constructive feedback. I'm not going to be opening Cafe Zaphod anytime soon, but it is very enjoyable. Also way cheaper than going to a local coffee shop.

Cheaper alternatives: Get an Aeropress. It's not "true" espresso, but you can make much more concentrated "shots" with one, so it's close.

The next cheapest espresso-like device would be a Moka Pot. Ikea has their version for $20 and they go up from there in price.
Is the aeropress cool? I would like to give it a try, and I like espresso, but I am moving into coffee paraphernalia obsessed territory.

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:56 pm

Emower wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:37 pm

Is the aeropress cool? I would like to give it a try, and I like espresso, but I am moving into coffee paraphernalia obsessed territory.
Yes the aeropress is great - just got one for Christmas. Simple to use and gives you all the control you need. It makes a single cup at a time. It’s kind of espresso like because you press it through a filter, but probably closer to a good drip (depending on how you use it).

The moka pot seems cool too so check that out.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:22 pm

Emower wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:37 pm
Yep, the Aeropress is cool! If you are moving into obsessed territory, you definitely need one. I'm pretty sure it's required equipment for coffee geeks (snobs?) :mrgreen:

It's all I use at home. A little more involved than pushing a button on a drip machine, but it definitely makes better magic bean juice than drip machines I have experienced.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:18 am

There are tons of espresso machines that can he had for $400 or less. There are a number of very usable options for under $100. In the end it depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it. Unless you intend to open a coffee shop, there is no reason to spend a couple thousand on an espresso machine.

The local Walmarts typically carry a very basic setup in store for $40. Target usually has something similar.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr-Coffee-Ca ... /169775663

I paid $30 for my Mr. Coffee (massively on sale, normally about $75-80) I use mine once a week, on average, to make DW and me a latte each and sometimes Italian Steamers for the kids. For me, it works just fine. I'm defiantly not a professional barista, but I can do a descent latte. With some creativity and a small supply of syrups, I can get a close approximation to most things you get at a coffee shop.

This last weekend, I did lattes with chocolate syrup and a crushed up candy cane. Made a good peppermint mocha.

A few thoughts on what I have. From what I can tell, mine is rather under powered. It works well enough for making espresso, but can be week for steaming milk. The steam just is not as hot as preferable. To really steam milk, you end up putting a lot of steam into the milk that you end up watering it down. I usually cheat by preheating the milk in the microwave before I steam it.

When it comes time to replace mine, I most likely go for the $150-200 range, something with a bit more oomph behind it.

One thing I have found is that the bean grind is important to get a good espresso. Normal drip coffee grounds is too course and does doesn't produce as much espresso as you should be able to get for a given amount of coffee. You can use a traditional grinder but it takes a bit to figure out how to get a good grind. Not too course or too fine. I reticently discovered pre-ground espresso. That helps a lot. Not quite as good as fresh ground, but a lot more consistent results. I have been using Lavazza which I can get at the grocery store. Cafe Bustelo is also available at Aldi, but I havn't tried it yet. I got some and will try it out.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Emower

Post by Emower » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:27 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:18 am
I reticently discovered pre-ground espresso. That helps a lot. Not quite as good as fresh ground, but a lot more consistent results. I have been using Lavazza which I can get at the grocery store. Cafe Bustelo is also available at Aldi, but I havn't tried it yet. I got some and will try it out.
Let me know how it is. I recently found this at the store:

Its not espresso, but in my french press it makes a really good tasting cup. I highly recommend.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:36 am

Just This Guy wrote:
One thing I have found is that the bean grind is important to get a good espresso. Normal drip coffee grounds is too course and does doesn't produce as much espresso as you should be able to get for a given amount of coffee. You can use a traditional grinder but it takes a bit to figure out how to get a good grind. Not too course or too fine.
This is an excellent point. Grind is very important with espresso, and also quite important with other "manual" methods such as the Aeropress and french press. I have no experience with a Moka Pot, but I'm pretty sure it would be important there also.

So for all the "upper level coffee geek" stuff, a decent grinder is going to be just as important as the preparation method/machine. Decent electric grinders that are going to do the job well are quite pricey. I fresh grind everything I do with a hand-operated conical bur grinder. It's not too much of a chore, but I really only make 1 or 2 cups at a time. Kish-Kory posted in another thread about his drill-ified hand grinder, which might be a good option also:
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am
NOTE - the grinder we have is a hand crank grinder. It would take forever and a day to grind enough doing it by hand. I have a little 12V cordless drill that I use instead of the manual crank. It works great and much less expensive than a motorized grinder. Maybe I'll attach a pic of my setup.
Kish-Kory's entire post in the linked quote above is really good if you haven't read it.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:07 am

This is the stand alone grinder I have. You can find it all over the place for around $10. It's easy to use and easy to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-Electric-C ... B00004SPEU

For most applications, (drip, french press, cold brew) it works great. However, it's a bit of a pain to make espresso. Espresso should be pretty fine (but not too fine*) and consistent. It can make it fine, but struggles with the consistency aspect. It's also easy to over grind it with this one.

If you want to grind your own espresso, you really should have something with a pass though design and a courseness meter. Makes life a lot easier.
Example**: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-8- ... B00018RRRK

I wold say that if you are buying a grinder, unless you are on a budget, I personally would spend a bit more and get an adjustable one like the one above. It gives you a lot more possibilities of what you can do with it and better control of your grind.

* If it is too fine, you can actually basically stop up the espresso machine and prevent it from drawing a shot.
** I have no experience with this one. Just what came up in a search.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:57 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:07 am
This is the stand alone grinder I have. You can find it all over the place for around $10. It's easy to use and easy to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-Electric-C ... B00004SPEU
"Real" coffee geeks will tell you to NEVER use a blade grinder to grind coffee beans. It "heats up" the beans as you grind them, and "ruins" them. The consistency you mention later in your post is a big deal to real coffee geeks too.

Disclaimer: I've never used a blade grinder. I am only quoting other coffee geeks who are much bigger geeks than I am.

Here's a fun TED talk about coffee for anyone who wants to become more of a coffee geek:

What you didn't know about coffee: Asher Yaron at TEDxUbud
Asher Yaron wrote:95% of the roasted coffee in the world is 100% old, stale, and dead.
:D :o :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen: :ugeek:

Edit/Disclamer #2: If you read the comments on that TED talk, a LOT of coffee geeks dislike it, and compare it to a cheap infomercial. It does make me giggle at how passionate Asher is about his magic beans (seeds.)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:03 am

Emower wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:27 am
Just This Guy wrote:
I reticently discovered pre-ground espresso. That helps a lot. Not quite as good as fresh ground, but a lot more consistent results. I have been using Lavazza which I can get at the grocery store. Cafe Bustelo is also available at Aldi, but I haven't tried it yet. I got some and will try it out.
Let me know how it is.
New Years eve morning and I did some kitchen experimentation. I did two lattes side by side, as identical to each other as I could. One was made with Lavazza espresso and the other with cafe Bustelo. That being said, with 2 oz shots, the difference between the two is only a couple tablespoons worth.

First off, the Cafe Bustelo is a noticeably darker roast of the espresso beans. You can put the two side by side and see a noticeable difference. This does create a noticeable difference in flavor. For the extraction, The Lavazza produce more espresso. I got a bit more out of it before it went watery compared to the Cafe Bustelo

Next to each other, Lavazza has a smoother, less harsh taste. Cafe Bustelo was a bit more bitter, more 'espresso' in how it goes down.

So the verdict, both make a good cup of espresso. At a minimum, if one is on sale between the two, it won't be a bad move. I think that both have a slightly better applications. Lavazza would be better if you are doing a flavored latte where you want to blend different flavors. Cafe Bustelo would be better if you want something with a more 'coffee' flavor to it.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:55 am

I was invited over to "Sunday coffee" yesterday afternoon at the home of a friend of a friend. One of the businesses they own is a (coffee bean) roastery. There are so many factors that affect the taste of the coffee - from the raw bean all the way through to the final cup. It's kind of mind blowing. You can take two baristas side by side using the identical beans and equipment (to produce the same finished beverage) and have a completely different experience depending on the skill & attention to detail/process each of them have.

When the devil's brew is done right - it's f*cking magical.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:20 pm

wtfluff wrote:
The next cheapest espresso-like device would be a Moka Pot.
Usually, I'ma have a da urge for Twinkies when I moka pot.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:13 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:20 pm
wtfluff wrote:
The next cheapest espresso-like device would be a Moka Pot.
Usually, I'ma have a da urge for Twinkies when I moka pot.
Moksha Pot - is that anything like Colorado Kale?
Happy Feet with the Jazz Cabbage!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE