Coffee 101

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
GoodBoy

Coffee 101

Post by GoodBoy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:31 pm

How to interpret the Starbucks menu options:

Almost all of the drinks that I didn't understand are made with espresso. Espresso is a quickly made, and very concentrated coffee made by forcing hot water at very high pressure through very finely ground coffee. HIgh pressures are required because the coffee beans are ground to a flour-like consistency and low pressures can't get water through it. You can drink espresso plain if you are hard core, or the barista (coffee maker person) adds that shot of espresso to milk, foamed milk, cream, chocolate, etc.

Italians were the first ones to get fancy with the espresso, thus all these coffee terms are just mostly Italian words. Example: espresso = express (because espresso can be made fairly quickly), breve = short, caffe = coffee.
Also:
* Latte means milk (espresso with hot milk added).
* Macchiato means marked or stained (espresso that has been marked with a dallop of foamed milk).
* Americano means American. American GI's just wanted a regular cup of coffee so they just added hot water to espresso to dilute it.
* Cappuccino is named after the Capuchin monks who wore a tan robe/garment and a cappuccino is a light brown color (espresso with milk and foamed milk). This is the one that they can make fancy patterns in while adding the foamed milk.
* Crema means cream but it isn't cream. It is the cream-like substance made by carbon dioxide that comes from the ground coffee but was dissolved at the high pressures that espresso is made at. The CO2 comes out when it comes to atmospheric pressure. So it's has no bearing on the taste of espresso at all, but many customers just want to see it.
* Mocha isn't Italian, but is an old word associated with coffee that just came to mean "with chocolate and milk". In fact, you can make a mocha by adding a hot chocolate packet to a cup of regular coffee.
* au lait = French for "with milk". I don't think this is different from a latte, except that maybe au lait may not be made with espresso.

When you use foreign words it sounds so much more exotic and that you should be willing to pay more for it. For example: "caffe latte" sounds so much sexier than "milk coffee", and 'macchiato" is so much more exotic than "foamy milk coffee". :-)
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Thoughtful

Re: Coffee 101

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:00 pm

GoodBoy wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:31 pm
How to interpret the Starbucks menu options:

Almost all of the drinks that I didn't understand are made with espresso. Espresso is a quickly made, and very concentrated coffee made by forcing hot water at very high pressure through very finely ground coffee. HIgh pressures are required because the coffee beans are ground to a flour-like consistency and low pressures can't get water through it. You can drink espresso plain if you are hard core, or the barista (coffee maker person) adds that shot of espresso to milk, foamed milk, cream, chocolate, etc.

Italians were the first ones to get fancy with the espresso, thus all these coffee terms are just mostly Italian words. Example: espresso = express (because espresso can be made fairly quickly), breve = short, caffe = coffee.
Also:
* Latte means milk (espresso with hot milk added).
* Macchiato means marked or stained (espresso that has been marked with a dallop of foamed milk).
* Americano means American. American GI's just wanted a regular cup of coffee so they just added hot water to espresso to dilute it.
* Cappuccino is named after the Capuchin monks who wore a tan robe/garment and a cappuccino is a light brown color (espresso with milk and foamed milk). This is the one that they can make fancy patterns in while adding the foamed milk.
* Crema means cream but it isn't cream. It is the cream-like substance made by carbon dioxide that comes from the ground coffee but was dissolved at the high pressures that espresso is made at. The CO2 comes out when it comes to atmospheric pressure. So it's has no bearing on the taste of espresso at all, but many customers just want to see it.
* Mocha isn't Italian, but is an old word associated with coffee that just came to mean "with chocolate and milk". In fact, you can make a mocha by adding a hot chocolate packet to a cup of regular coffee.
* au lait = French for "with milk". I don't think this is different from a latte, except that maybe au lait may not be made with espresso.

When you use foreign words it sounds so much more exotic and that you should be willing to pay more for it. For example: "caffe latte" sounds so much sexier than "milk coffee", and 'macchiato" is so much more exotic than "foamy milk coffee". :-)
Breve is like a cappuccino but with half and half instead of milk.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:31 pm

This is a good list. All of those years of studying French and Italian helped me out when I started drinking coffe and wine. haha Not worthless after all. ;)

Cafe au lait is with regular coffee (although French people make it much stronger than most Americans) and a latte is milk with expresso. Either way--delicious!

Mocha comes from a port in the middle east that they used to ship the cocoa beans through.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:37 pm

So, I just looked that up because I wondered if I remembered that incorrectly. Mocha was the port, but it was where coffee beans came through not cocoa beans. It then started to mean coffee grown in that region of Yemen. And now I finally understand why Italian moka pots are called that and have nothing to do with chocolate.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:30 am

Resigning, now all this coffee talk; you may have to change your name "Goodboy" ;)

Thanks for the map through Starbucks.

Coffee by any name still tastes as good.......
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:55 pm

I'm pretty simple: I hand grind beans and steep them in a french press. Milk and stevia.

I needed this post last week when I was wandering around a medical center while my wife was having a procedure and found myself stupefied in front of a Starbuck's menu. When it was my turn to order I panicked and randomly picked caramel macchiato. They lady said I couldn't go wrong with that one. She was right.

My discovery about coffee is that I'm kinda ADHD but I can focus much better with a belly full of brew. I would have expected the opposite.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:25 am

So interesting! Thanks for the info. I hated the taste I tried a few months ago. But I am tempted to try again.
Hagoth wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:55 pm
.My discovery about coffee is that I'm kinda ADHD but I can focus much better with a belly full of brew. I would have expected the opposite.
I’m ADD too Hagoth and I’ve wondered if the caffeine would make me better or worse....

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:27 am

One question for everyone. Recommendations on cleaning a stainless steel carafe? Mine had been picking up a bit of a stain and normal washing methods are not helping it.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:48 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:27 am
One question for everyone. Recommendations on cleaning a stainless steel carafe? Mine had been picking up a bit of a stain and normal washing methods are not helping it.
Baking soda or vinegar in hot water soaks are traditional methods. If those don't work you can do a bit of a gentle scrub with an OxiClean or baking soda paste or even use something like Bar Keeper's Friend.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 am

Hagoth wrote:
My discovery about coffee is that I'm kinda ADHD but I can focus much better with a belly full of brew. I would have expected the opposite.
Anon70 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:25 am
I’m ADD too Hagoth and I’ve wondered if the caffeine would make me better or worse....
OK, let's get this out in the open for everyone to hear: Coffee is basically a wonder-drug for most everyone with ADD/ADHD. Everyone I know with ADD/ADHD who drinks coffee has mentioned this. Coffee basically has the opposite effect on ADD/ADHD folks that it does on "normal" folks. It makes the ADD/ADHD symptoms better, not worse.

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:27 am
If what Dravin mentioned doesn't work, then... Bleach. I know that your instructions for your carafe likely say to NOT use bleach, but use just a tiny bit, with some water. Don't let it "soak", give it a good scrub with the bleach solution, then instantly wash it out the "normal" way. Kinda like whitening your teeth. Too much is... Well, too much.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:44 am

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 am
OK, let's get this out in the open for everyone to hear: Coffee is basically a wonder-drug for most everyone with ADD/ADHD. Everyone I know with ADD/ADHD who drinks coffee has mentioned this. Coffee basically has the opposite effect on ADD/ADHD folks that it does on "normal" folks. It makes the ADD/ADHD symptoms better, not worse.
I'm almost 61 and I didn't know this. In fact, I just figured out that I have ADD or ADHD or something. Never diagnosed, but suddenly it makes sense why I have started countless books and finished fewer than half of them, and why I couldn't get through a simple chapter book until I was in 9th grade, even when I REALLY wanted to read them. Why I start so many projects and can't finish them, why my Netflix list is full of shows that are 1/8 watched. Why I have to take breaks every 15 minutes or so from almost everything I do. Why I can't stick with a hobby.

And then coffee. All of a sudden I can sit down and focus on a research paper for HOURS. Amazing. You know, if coffee wasn't prohibited I might have been able to sit through three hours of church.

Thank you God or Satan or whoever is responsible for this marvelous elixir.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:55 pm

Carmel Machiatto is my Starbucks drug of choice. Love it hot or cold.

As for office coffee, I pick the French vanilla medium roast, with 2 sugars, and 2 Irish Cream.

Not sure if that's mixing international races or not.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:22 pm

Coffee could fight Parkinson's disease, study says
Tauren Dyson, writing for United Press International, wrote: The findings, published this month in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, found that fatty acid derivatives of the neurotransmitter serotonin that coats coffee beans, known as Eicosanoyl-5-hydroxytryptamide, or EHT, helped protect the brains of mice against abnormal protein accumulation linked to Parkinson's disease and Lewy body dementia.

Researchers from Rutgers University gave mice small amounts of both caffeine and EHT. Individually, each compound had no effect, but combined, they activated the portion of the rodents' brains that fights the build-up of proteins that cause Parkinson's disease and Lewy body dementia.
Coffee: is there anything it can't do?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:22 pm
It can't bring your testimony back!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:44 am
Why I can't stick with a hobby.
It seems like you share the same hobby most of us have...Mormonism.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:46 pm
Corsair wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:22 pm
It can't bring your testimony back!
"I'd like to bury my testimony of coffee..."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:29 pm

Hagoth wrote:

There was a lady on NOM years ago that had ADHD. Her Dr perscribed coffee, and she said is much better drinking the coffee that the drugs she was on.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:17 am

MerrieMiss wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:58 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:44 am
Why I can't stick with a hobby.
It seems like you share the same hobby most of us have...Mormonism.
In the same sense that Tippi Hedren in Hitchcock's movie is a bird enthusiast or Sisyphus enjoys repetitive athletic challenges!

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:43 am

Thai coffee is like a delicious liquid dessert.

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:26 pm

No Tof wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:30 am
Resigning, now all this coffee talk; you may have to change your name "Goodboy" ;)

Thanks for the map through Starbucks.

Coffee by any name still tastes as good.......
Haha! I think you're right! I've been a little more naughty with all my coffee drinking lately.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.