A Mormon Math Problem

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

A Mormon Math Problem

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 am

Brother and Sister Jones, a heterosexual white couple, are temple married in 1977 and over the next 20 years have six children. By December 2018, all six of their children have followed prophetic advice and have multiplied and replenished the earth, thus each have 6 children of their own, living in six different states scattered across the US. In January 2019, Brother & Sister Jones find themselves grandparents to 16 male grandchildren who will all be ordained due to the new age policy in 6 different states. Which grandchildren do they visit to support their ordinations?

A) All, they'll use their frequent flyer miles.
B) Only 2, they can't make them all.
C) they pray for an answer.
D) None, they are currently serving their 5th mission and don't know any of their grandchildren well enough to leave.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Re: A Mormon Math Problem

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:05 am

First World TBM Problems
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:20 am

My parents are pretty close to that situation and I can tell you what they decided to do. The largely chose option "A". However, since my mother's passing, my father is starting to slow down and probably will not attend all possible ordinances going forward. He does, however, faithfully attend to his temple duties on a weekly basis.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:10 am

E) The two closest, and use this fact as leverage to get their kids to move back to their home state.

F) All. They'll Skype in once they figure out how to make the danged computer work. Gramps will assist by proxy by borrowing a local priesthood holder's arm.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:15 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 am
Brother and Sister Jones, a heterosexual white couple, are temple married in 1977 and over the next 20 years have six children. By December 2018, all six of their children have followed prophetic advice and have multiplied and replenished the earth, thus each have 6 children of their own, living in six different states scattered across the US. In January 2019, Brother & Sister Jones find themselves grandparents to 16 male grandchildren who will all be ordained due to the new age policy in 6 different states. Which grandchildren do they visit to support their ordinations?

A) All, they'll use their frequent flyer miles.
B) Only 2, they can't make them all.
C) they pray for an answer.
D) None, they are currently serving their 5th mission and don't know any of their grandchildren well enough to leave.
Coming from a large enough, mormon enough family that this has happened before even without bulk ward ordaining: they will do none of the above.

They will get permission to do all the ordinations in the grandparent's ward at the same time. Family will all travel there at once. Badda bing, badda boom. Also a nice family photo of everyone that came standing in front of the stage under fluorescent lights.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:04 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:15 pm
They will get permission to do all the ordinations in the grandparent's ward at the same time. Family will all travel there at once. Badda bing, badda boom. Also a nice family photo of everyone that came standing in front of the stage under fluorescent lights.
In that case it will look like the average LDS wedding reception. The family gathers in the cultural hall under those fluorescent lights for a picture since is not allowed in the sacred areas that the wedding or ordination might take place.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:21 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:15 pm

Coming from a large enough, mormon enough family that this has happened before even without bulk ward ordaining: they will do none of the above.

Aww, you beat me to it. I told someone this on Reddit the other day too. Grandparent guilt is sufficiently strong to demand parents bring all their children to their ward for baptism. And why would the bishop's decline? They have 6 other ordinations to do on that first Sunday in January, so they can appreciate the lighter workload.

Hell, half of them will be traveling to their own parents house to gather with siblings and ordain all the cousins together.