Praise to the Man?!?!?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Praise to the Man?!?!?

Post by Linked » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:54 pm

My ward actually replaced a Christmas song with Praise to the Man for Sacrament today. From the bishopric member conducting the meeting, "Did you know that today is Joseph Smith's 213th birthday?! So we will sing Praise to the Man." I refused to sing.

With all the special musical numbers the congregation ended up only singing the last 2 verses of Silent Night (the first verse was a solo). Cutting out all the congregation Christmas songs was a travesty. I politely gave the bishopric member my thoughts after the meeting.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Re: Praise to the Man?!?!?

Post by wtfluff » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Merry Smithmas! :x
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:23 pm

Ah the low hanging fruit of exmolandia.

Jesus was a man too, no? :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

achilles

Post by achilles » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Well, Linked, it's also Festivus.

Air your grievances!
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:02 pm

I went to church with DW today for the first time in a long time and was really expecting a lot of praise for Joseph on his birthday.

Thankfully there was not a single mention of Joseph Smith and it was really focused on Christmas. There were some references to D&C and a few to BoM, but it was really New Testament centered.

But I really expected more of a balance between Christmas and Smithsmas... I had this in mind all morning leading up to it:

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:35 am

Wife's ward sacrament was all about jeses. Then we went to my brother in laws house to skype with his daughter who is on a mission. She is not able for some reason talk on christmas.

While talking to her my MIL mentions its js birthday and said. His birthday is a special time because the days are longer with more light and it represents the light of the restored gospel he brought. Everything we have is because of joseph smith. Then it turned into a JS gushing love fest.

I just sat there thinking, WOW, so glad I'm out! 😁

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:01 am

Our ward Christmas party, Christmas concert, Christmas sacrament meeting: not one word about Joseph Smith. Jesus wins this year!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:45 pm

Ugg. That is my least favorite hymn.
Merry Smithmas.
~2bizE