Cult Swap - reality TV

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Cult Swap - reality TV

Post by 2bizE » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:34 am

What if there was a reality TV show called Cult Swap. A couple/family from one cult would swap cults for a few months with a family from another cult. This would open their minds to their own cultiness.

Today’s episode will feature a Mormon family and a Jehovas Witness family. Watch how the JW family navigates the no coffee and tea, and can they survive 10 hours of general conference? Watch the Mormon family miss out on Christmas, and will the sick mother have to refuse a blood transfusion during her surgery? All on this weeks episode of Cult Swap.
~2bizE

wtfluff

Re: Cult Swap - reality TV

Post by wtfluff » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:24 pm

I might be wrong... But wouldn't Cult Swap require that the members of the cult actually admit or realize that they are in a cult?

Because you know: It's really difficult to see the cult... From the inside.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Bwahahah. That would be all laughs!

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:19 pm

Love it! Maybe we need to rename the show to "My Strange Religion", because as was pointed out, they would never admit to being in a cult.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:07 pm

It would certainly be interesting. Any idea what it is like to be an Orthodox Jew?
The name of the show could change, but would be a fun show to watch.
~2bizE

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:05 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:07 pm
It would certainly be interesting. Any idea what it is like to be an Orthodox Jew?
The name of the show could change, but would be a fun show to watch.
I have a friend who is Jewish. She has two dishwashers for washing dishes with different foods eaten. Lights needed on for Saturday just be turned on Friday before Sunset. Friday all day is preparing for Sabbath. She actually runs herself into the ground on Friday's, but she adores Sabbath because she doesn't have to do a thing-- and it's practically a family holiday every week.

alas

Post by alas » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:13 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:19 pm
Love it! Maybe we need to rename the show to "My Strange Religion", because as was pointed out, they would never admit to being in a cult.
No, call it “We are a Peculiar People” that way Mormons will not think it isn’t about them.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:39 am

To get a Mormon family involved you would have to tell them the working title is something like Light The World.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:34 pm

This is funniest darn idea I've heard in a long time. :lol:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:16 pm

You know there are families on the fringe of every religion that would be willing to swap.
Imagine a Mormon being faced with the life changing decision to have a cup of tea, or the Jew staring at a pork chop. Maybe a Baptist reading the BoM or the first vision accounts.Would be a real growing and entertaining experience.
~2bizE

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:19 pm

alas wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:13 am
RubinHighlander wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:19 pm
No, call it “We are a Peculiar People” that way Mormons will not think it isn’t about them.
I really like just Peculiar People.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Tudor_Princess

Post by Tudor_Princess » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:47 pm

I'd seriously watch this! Sounds very entertaining