Bishop's Youth Interview - Return & Report

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Bishop's Youth Interview - Return & Report

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:51 pm

Yesterday my son had his Bishop's Interview as he turns an even age in 2019 and will get a priesthood promotion in January which is earlier than expected due to President Nelson's wonderful new policy.

Ward Clerk texts Sister R: Is RR junior available at 12:30 to meet with the Bishop? Parents are welcome to attend.

The three of us show up and there's 3 other youth sitting there with no parents.

We walk into the Bishops office and he explains how wonderful this new age change policy is. He's excited for my son and asks him of he has a current limited use temple recommend. My son says, yes but I don't know where it's at. Sister R says "it's in my wallet and purse." Bishop laughs and says we can do the ordination next week. Then he looks over at me and says, "Dad, are you going to do the ordy?" I said "of course!" and we all made small talk and left. That was it.

No questions. No standard interview stuff. Just a great guy excited for my kid and cool enough to let me pretend to be a mormon for another mormon milestone.

Now I've got to work on an ordination speech.

Is it the "power" of the priesthood which I hold, or is it the "authority" of the priesthood which I hold? I'll probably go with "power" because that bothers my FIL.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

slavereeno

Re: Bishop's Youth Interview - Return & Report

Post by slavereeno » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:45 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:51 pm
Now I've got to work on an ordination speech.
This phrasing has me laughing now. I am hearing the "speech" now as more of a speech and not a "blessing."

Emower

Post by Emower » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Is it the "power" of the priesthood which I hold, or is it the "authority" of the priesthood which I hold? I'll probably go with "power" because that bothers my FIL.
I dont think it would be very appropriate to be holding your priesthood power in public. That kind of thing is done in the privacy of your own home...

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:34 pm

Good for you winning leadership roulette like that. Time for a trip to Vegas.

Liberated Me

Post by Liberated Me » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:02 am

Emower wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:50 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
I dont think it would be very appropriate to be holding your priesthood power in public. That kind of thing is done in the privacy of your own home...
Haha! Too funny!
“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.” ~Nelson Mandela~
"Judging others does not define them, it defines you ...."
~Wayne Dyer~

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:12 pm

Returning to report.

In the past I’ve tried to spend time thinking of things to say for a blessing or what not. I didn’t this time and during sacrament meeting was browsing ESPN and came across a great article written about Mitchell Trubisky the QB of the Chicago Bears.
Call it inspiration or just plain luck but I liked the quote and used it for the basis of the ordination blessing.
"True mental toughness is having a great attitude, giving your very, very best, treating people really, really well and having unconditional gratitude regardless of your circumstances. That has nothing to do with football or even work," he says. "That's just life. If you can do those four things -- have a great attitude, do your best, treat people well, be thankful -- and put them together, you won't fail at anything."
Everyone loved the ordination blessing and a few tears were shed my the ladies in the family. HeartSell💔™️ really works!!

I have to say that my work as a Mormon father passing on the priesthood is now complete unless the rules change. I’ll no longer be allowed to participate as the voice if/when my son becomes an Elder unless I decide to get a TR. so we’ll see what happens in the future. It’s bittersweet to see your kids grow up and still be an arms length away from a life of Mormonism.

In total there were about 23 priesthood advancements this afternoon. It was comical to walk by the windowed classrooms and see white shirts and ties standing around some poor kid while the women sat along the walls with their eyes closed. It’s such a bizarre event.

And last but not least, God must have either been mad that I was on my phone during sacrament meeting, mad I plagiarized the quote, or is a Philly Eagles fan because tonight the Bears lost by a missed field goal!

Double Doink!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Sounds like it worked out great. I love the quote, too.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK