Who said it?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Who said it?

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:52 pm

Let's play a fun game.

Put up a quote and let's guess who said it!
I want to smell you, want to breath you in. I want to hold you tight.... want to kiss your lips.... I am in love with you. I will show you with my body, and my lips and eyes, very soon,
A). Donald Trump to Stormy Daniels
B). Joseph Smith to Helen Mar Kimball
C). Jeff Bezos to Lauren Sanchez
D). Russell M Nelson to Wendy Watts Nelson
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Re: Who said it?

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Man... Bezos is getting the 'drip drip' treatment until he gives his wife whatever she wants.

He should've just said he was told by God through Alexa to take another.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:48 pm

LOL ! I know this answer because I just googled it; but if I hadn't I would say that it sounds like Russell and Wendy sexting each other ( "in the presence of Jesus Christ", of course). :lol: - Wndr
Last edited by Wonderment on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

acmeist

Post by acmeist » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:22 pm

I’ll try one. I am fudging with the quote a bit to make it not so obvious though. I can put up the true quote if anyone cares (I substituted 2 words).

“Now, women, while your input is significant and welcome in effective meetings, you need to be careful not to assume a role that is not yours.”

A) Don Draper in Mad Men
B) Joseph F. Smith
C) Will McEvoy in The Newsroom
D) Russell Ballard

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Which two words?

and...... who is Russell Ballard?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:42 pm

acmeist wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:22 pm
I’ll try one. I am fudging with the quote a bit to make it not so obvious though. I can put up the true quote if anyone cares (I substituted 2 words).

“Now, women, while your input is significant and welcome in effective meetings, you need to be careful not to assume a role that is not yours.”

A) Don Draper in Mad Men
B) Joseph F. Smith
C) Will McEvoy in The Newsroomh
D) Russell Ballard
D

Ick. And didn’t he also say for us not to talk too much.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:54 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:40 pm
Which two words?

and...... who is Russell Ballard?
Perhaps adding the most important first initial to his name will make him recognizable.

According to Wikipedia M. Russell Ballard was an American business man.
During the late 1950s, Ballard was recruited by the Ford Motor Company to become the first Edsel car dealer for Salt Lake City. After praying for guidance, he had the "clear impression" not to sign the franchise. He did anyway and incurred a huge loss, "without doubt the darkest period" of his business career.[7]

One highlight of his business career was his presidency of the Valley Music Hall in Bountiful, Utah, which offered family entertainment. There Ballard worked with Art Linkletter, Danny Thomas, Bob Cummings, and other Hollywood celebrities who were advisers to the enterprise. Although the music hall failed financially, investors recovered their money when the LDS Church purchased the building.[8][9]
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

acmeist

Post by acmeist » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:13 pm

The quote is "“Now, sisters (not women), while your input is significant and welcome in effective councils (not meetings), you need to be careful not to assume a role that is not yours.”

I totally forgot his name was M. Russell Ballard. I have been out for years. I think I thought it was Russell M. Ballard. Is he even still alive? The quote is awful. And I didn't know he told us not to talk too much. :x

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:08 pm

Here’s the Ballard quote:

That you will let your voices be heard, we cannot, we cannot meet our destiny as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in preparing this world for the 2nd coming of the Savior of the world without the support and the faith and the strength of the women of this church. We need you. We need your voices. They need to be heard. They need to be heard in your community, in your neighborhoods, they need to be heard within the ward council or the branch council. Now don’t talk too much in those council meetings, just straighten the brethren out quickly and move the work on. We are building the kingdom of God.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:29 am

A few years ago, my wife would have seen no problem with this. She's very much a shadow leadership kind of person, so this might have come across as affirming. Now, I think she would perceive that something is off, figure it out after a few seconds, and let it go.

My daughters, on the other hand, would immediately call this misogyny. It's barely even benevolent.

"Back to the kitchens, ladies! We know you're smarter than us, but we've humbly accepted the call to lead, so scram."
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:07 pm

Who said this?
“On the sad character Cain, an interesting story comes to us from Lycurgus A. Wilson's book on the life of David W. Patten. From the book I quote an extract from a letter by Abraham O. Smoot giving his recollection of David Patten's account of meeting "a very remarkable person who had represented himself as being Cain.

'As I was riding along the road on my mule I suddenly noticed a very strange personage walking beside me… His head was about even with my shoulders as I sat in my saddle. He wore no clothing, but was covered with hair. His skin was very dark. I asked him where he dwelt and he replied that he had no home, that he was a wanderer in the earth and traveled to and fro. He said he was a very miserable creature, that he had earnestly sought death during his sojourn upon the earth, but that he could not die, and his mission was to destroy the souls of men. About the time he expressed himself thus, I rebuked him in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by virtue of the holy priesthood, and commanded him to go hence, and he immediately departed out of my sight…"
~2bizE

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:31 pm

Spencer W. Kimball in The Miracle of Forgiveness?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.