LDS fireside this Sunday on "Navigating Doubts"

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
crazyhamster

Re: LDS fireside this Sunday on "Navigating Doubts"

Post by crazyhamster » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Random wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:52 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:46 am
The whole thing falls apart once you realize the sense of danger is manufactured by the freaked-out, delusional people on the boat, and you can choose just to enjoy a swim in the calm water or wade ashore and stroll along the beach.
Wait. There's a beach and a shore?
Not only that, but if you stand up you find the water's warm, only waist deep and the bottom is nice and sandy.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 am

Anon70 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:03 pm
https://janariess.religionnews.com/2019 ... he-victim/

Great article.
Jana nails it, as per usual.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

græy

Post by græy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:34 pm

græy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:29 am
blazerb wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:26 am
I would love for Steven to tell his side of the story. I notice that they did not claim that they had an answer for the temple/priesthood ban concern. Steven almost certainly experienced something different from what was described. Back in the day, I remember Hugh Nibley complaining that anti-Mormons never let JS tell his own story. They always paraphrased his words. I think this could be a legitimate problem. (Sidenote: I am happy to quote JS directly in order to show the problems with his story.) However, the church does the same thing, The leaders never let us tell our own story. They always paraphrase so that they can control the narrative.
Interesting point. I'm not a writer, but I think I may take a crack at writing Steven's story during lunch today. I'd love to counter that analogy and the picture it draws.
Finally watched most of this video. I thought Steve was the fictional boat dude, not the real one whack-a-mole one. Sorry Steve, I won't try to re-write your past. It sounds like the church is already doing that for you. But I too would like to hear your real story.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Can we all agree that it's pretty awesome that he church used polygamy in the whack-a-mole graphic to show the dude with two women?

Maybe it's just me that finds this hilarious... usually the church would go to great lengths to avoid putting such imagery to it.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:03 pm
https://janariess.religionnews.com/2019 ... he-victim/

Great article.
This article has now hit the SL Tribune. With this kind of coverage there is no doubt that the Q15 will be discussing this in their meetings.

Commentary: Latter-day Saint apostle Dale G. Renlund misses the mark on doubt by blaming the victim

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/01 ... atter-day/
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

græy

Post by græy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:34 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 pm
Can we all agree that it's pretty awesome that he church used polygamy in the whack-a-mole graphic to show the dude with two women?

Maybe it's just me that finds this hilarious... usually the church would go to great lengths to avoid putting such imagery to it.

That actually is pretty hilarious! I didn't even think to look at the images on the sign, I wasn't actually looking at the video most of the time it was playing. A cropped down version, with just the mole and the sign could be a great avatar! Or maybe it needs to become an icon for something that can be more widely viewed. Thoughts?
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:19 pm

græy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:34 pm
That actually is pretty hilarious! I didn't even think to look at the images on the sign, I wasn't actually looking at the video most of the time it was playing. A cropped down version, with just the mole and the sign could be a great avatar! Or maybe it needs to become an icon for something that can be more widely viewed. Thoughts?
I'm totally using this for Twitter and Facebook haha... you're right, cropped down it could be perfect! :)

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm

sure_could_gopher_another_wife.png
sure_could_gopher_another_wife.png (39.76 KiB) Viewed 6598 times
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

græy

Post by græy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:30 pm

nibbler wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm
:lol: :D

edit to add: polyga-mole?
Last edited by græy on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:37 pm

Ridiculous. It's the church that's playing whack-a-mole trying to cover up and explain away things they simply don't have good answers for. This devotional could count as one attempted whack. The essays, excommunications, mormonsandgays, two-hour church, lowering mission age, etc, all whacks trying to keep those pesky facts like polygamy, native american DNA, BoM anachronisms, rock in hat, priesthood ban, anti-LGBT nrhetoric from coming up.

Cute mole, though.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:55 pm

nibbler wrote:
You win NOM today!!!! 😂

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:05 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Here' s the thing with the mole-whacking meme though: Truthfully, there should be thousands of those little sign-holding furry creatures poking their heads out. All at the same time. And the thing you whack the mole with? The hammer? Would that be the "answers" to the (mole) questions? Yeah... The hammer doesn't exist, they have no answers. If "Steven" was given answers to get ride of his moles, why not list those answers out?

Yep, Renlund and his buddies are cowards. Nothing more.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:55 pm
nibbler wrote:
You win NOM today!!!! 😂
+1

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:55 pm

nibbler wrote:
Now we just need to super-impose Min's erection from the book of Abraham on the stick figure in the middle.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:07 am

I feel like this person on Reddit nailed it pretty well:
A lot of work and thought went into that horrific ‘fireside’ at BYU-H. This was no mistake, no temporary lapse in judgment. This was the deliberate work of either a deeply distorted and dangerous worldview, or the deliberate work of a sociopathic narcissist. Maybe something in between...

...The fireside was a deliberate effort to sow disunity in families and destroy marriages. It wasn’t so much a plea to stay in the boat but a warning to any who may be doubting, not to contemplate jumping ship. There will be consequences.
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ecent_men/
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:42 am

nibbler wrote:
Genius!!!! Hahahaha!

Really... they should have picked a different analogy. They are the ones hitting the moles down so no one can examine history topics for too long, but the history will just keep popping up despite their never ending, misguided efforts.

Bizarre.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:07 pm

crazyhamster wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm
Random wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:52 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:46 am
The whole thing falls apart once you realize the sense of danger is manufactured by the freaked-out, delusional people on the boat, and you can choose just to enjoy a swim in the calm water or wade ashore and stroll along the beach.
Wait. There's a beach and a shore?
Not only that, but if you stand up you find the water's warm, only waist deep and the bottom is nice and sandy.
Mmm. I'm in.

(Okay, I left the boat a year or two ago, but you've convinced me to jump into the water and enjoy. Ahhh)
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK