Next change predictions

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Next change predictions

Post by 2bizE » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:37 am

Next change predictions:
Ok. Most of us saw the 2 hour church coming, but I did not anticipate changing the age boys can receive the priesthood. That seems like a pretty bold change to me.
I predict the next few rounds of changes to include something to do with marriage in the temple. Perhaps folks will have the option to get married civilly, and then go to the temple.
What changes do you foresee?
~2bizE

Reuben

Re: Next change predictions

Post by Reuben » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:54 am

The church buys the temple lot and begins constructing a space elevator. It's all part of a big plan to lift tithe payers off the surface before Jesus comes back.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:28 am

They seem to be relaxing things this time around. Assuming nelson lives on a while I think some more realigning of the PoGP is likely. The Book of Moses has as much history and literal problems as the BoM and BOA plus the uncovering of the commentary. The essays discredit all of these to varying degrees as well as the the Joseph Smith History.

The literal aspects of all of these have to be toned down in light of modern scholarship and understanding. Can't be decaconized yet, there is doctrine that needs tweaking first. Look for metaphoric interpretation to increase. We've seen the BOA was inspired, not translated from Holland. Expect similar for Moses. As to the JS History, that could be downplayed just as the Lectures on Faith. Our modern interpretation of the FV contradicts the LoF and the history could be recast as Joseph telling what he believed about things rather than factual statement. Just as the apologists do with problems in the Book of Mormon. ”the Nephites believed that but it's not necessarily what happened." In regards to Adam and Eve or the flood or tower of Babel. And so on.

Oaks would probably go hardline against gays and such. I can see him doubling down on literalness. I would expect things to tighten up under him.

The PoGP is doomed is my long term prediction as I don think even Oaks finds it defensible it valuable enough to well known doctrine.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:51 am

I’m hoping for something on WOW and garments. Loosening up on both.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 am

Tithing refunds for folks who figure out it's all made up?

(I can dream, can't I? :ugeek: )
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:47 am

I had breakfast with an exmo friend last weekend. I told her I think the next change coming is the WOW. I think they will change it to allow coffee/tea. Reason being: it doesn’t cost them anything financially, instead they can potentially gain $$$.

I think it’s ridiculous and impossible for missionaries in Asia to tell investigators that they will go to hell for drinking green/black tea. And unlike Africa, there’s lots of potential tithing $ in Asia. Same for US/Eurpoe. There is so much evidence coffee (and especially) tea are good for you, that no one is buying into the coffee and tea send you to hell garbage. And current members who may be staying away from the temple bc of coffee/tea could come back to the temple—and be full tithe payers again—a win/win for Mormon Inc.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:55 am

Girls between the ages of 11 and 18 can pass the sacrament. However they still will not be allowed to bless it.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:22 am

I can see the WOW argument but don't think they'll change it. It's the hallmark everyone outside thinks of for the church. Too high profile and cuts to the core of LDS external identity. It's about the only thing they can point to as successful prophecy.

Asia growth is done I think.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:11 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:47 am
I had breakfast with an exmo friend last weekend. I told her I think the next change coming is the WOW. I think they will change it to allow coffee/tea. Reason being: it doesn’t cost them anything financially, instead they can potentially gain $$$.

I think it’s ridiculous and impossible for missionaries in Asia to tell investigators that they will go to hell for drinking green/black tea. And unlike Africa, there’s lots of potential tithing $ in Asia. Same for US/Eurpoe. There is so much evidence coffee (and especially) tea are good for you, that no one is buying into the coffee and tea send you to hell garbage. And current members who may be staying away from the temple bc of coffee/tea could come back to the temple—and be full tithe payers again—a win/win for Mormon Inc.
I like the WoW changes. This is how it will be announced in GC.
Presiding Bishop Report: In an effort to increase revenue to maintain temples and meeting houses, the church has ventured into the business sector to diversify our profits. The church has just completed the purchase of all remaining Starbucks franchises in Utah, Idaho, and Arizona.
Pres. Nelson: The WoW is being changed. Members can now drink coffee and tea, but must refrain from illegal drugs or abuse of prescriptions. Also, avoid drinking sugary sodas.
~2bizE

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Hoping they’ll loosen up on coffee so I can drink it openly instead of quasi secretly. Although the thrill factor of being “bad” without really being bad would be gone. It’s a running joke in my office about us all going to Mormon hell. I think it’s possible though. Lots of upside (easier to convert without that requirement, many in the church would like to have coffee with friends and not be seen as being so weird) with little downside (doesn’t cut into tithing revenue which is all that’s important to them anyway).

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:14 pm

If President Nelson added funeral potatoes, Jell-O salad, and red and green Kool-Aid to the Word of Wisdom prohibition list, members would dutifully follow it and not question why God suddenly opposed those items. That is because we are a prophetic, entrepreneurial, and thought-free people.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:39 pm

We need to create an online movement that delivers a message to the church research department and brethren.

The message essentially communicates this idea:

"The church is a lovely organization that my (non-member) friends and family would love to join, except for the weird things like strict word of wisdom and funny underwear!"

The church does a lot of things right in regards to building strong families and community. It also does a lot of things wrong in regards to sexuality, exclusiveness, and weird control mechanisms that drive obedience, funny underwear, and worshiping church leaders instead of Jesus and God.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Brent

Post by Brent » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:03 pm

Aaronic Priesthood for women.

Remember its a Sacrament Prayer, not a blessing. Read it.

alas

Post by alas » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:46 pm

Unfortunately for us liberalMormons, progressives, NOMs and apostates, I don’t think there will be changes to WoW or sacred undies. I think it will be another of uncle Rusty’s weird pet peeves that he has held for 40+ years, sort of like not calling Mormons “Mormons”. It is going to be something that is not even on us apostate’s radar.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:06 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:46 pm
Unfortunately for us liberalMormons, progressives, NOMs and apostates, I don’t think there will be changes to WoW or sacred undies. I think it will be another of uncle Rusty’s weird pet peeves that he has held for 40+ years, sort of like not calling Mormons “Mormons”. It is going to be something that is not even on us apostate’s radar.
If I had time and cared enough, I'd read a lot of RMN's old talks to see what kinds of ideas he proposed or alluded to early on and make predictions from there as to what he might implement now that he has been "unleashed."

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:53 pm

He's dismissed evolution and been and Adam Eve literalist. Double down on the young humanity craziness perhaps

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:51 am

My favorite rumors would be that temple garments would only be used in the temple and outside of that you can wear normal underwear.

Of course no one is stopping you from going commando right now.

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:35 am

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:06 pm
alas wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:46 pm
If I had time and cared enough, I'd read a lot of RMN's old talks to see what kinds of ideas he proposed or alluded to early on and make predictions from there as to what he might implement now that he has been "unleashed."
He wrote the infamous "Conditional Love" article. Maybe he will change the first great commandment and the second which is like unto it to be "Love thechurchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints with all your heart and Love your neighbor as yourself but only if they are doing what you have decided is right".

Sometimes I wonder if that would actually require any changes though, it seems like that is often where the mormon church's teachings lead anyway.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:37 pm

What's left to rebrand?

New color of hymn books?

Week long general conference instead of weekend long?

BYU changes colors and mascot?

Six Apostles?

Every temple to be refurbished and decorated personally by Wendy?

I hope the changes keep coming. It's invigorating the member base and sets up the next apostle to make changes. We'll see more progress in the LDS church than ever before.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Brent

Post by Brent » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:58 pm

Don't dismiss Female Aaronic priesthood out of hand...Think about it:

1. Feminists placated. "Women get ordained"

2. The are of the "lesser priesthood", meaning the male "presides" in the home, keeping the "Authority and Power of the Priesthood" safely in his hands. (No free lancing Sisters, you're not OK to bless or preside.)

3. YW can now pass the sacrament numbing them to the idea they are less important. Potentially you could rotate between an all male and all female service...kinda like the temple.

"He passes the sacrament. This is one of the most sacred duties of a deacon. As a deacon performs this duty, he is a representative of the Lord. He should be worthy to give the emblems of the sacrament to the members of the Church." https://www.lds.org/youth/article/your- ... s?lang=eng

4. The Sacrament Prayer is just that. A prayer. God is pleaded with and asked to "Bless and Sanctify".

"He officiates at the sacrament table. The honor of administering the sacrament is given to the priests, who offer the sacramental prayers. A priest should be familiar with the sacramental prayers, dress appropriately, and wash his hands before performing this ordinance. Above all, priests should be worthy to perform this sacred ordinance as the Savior’s representatives. Another duty of priests is to baptize when authorized by the bishop or branch president (see D&C 20:46). Baptism by the proper authority is one of the most important and sacred ordinances in the Church, for it is the ordinance by which we become members of the Church, are forgiven of our sins, and enter the path to the celestial kingdom.
" https://www.lds.org/youth/article/your- ... s?lang=eng

5. The PR would be massive. Three inch headlines on the Dnews, "GOD ALLOWS WOMEN THE PRIESTHOOD". CNN, MSNBC, FOX and crew would eat it up. This isn't the limp "name change" sort of revelation. This is earthshaking. It may well cleave the church, helping the far right divest and get out of Dodge. It would clearly send a message that "This ain't your Grandma's church no more".

6. You "one up" the Catholics. They get to be the stodgy ones now.

7. You have another threat to hold over YW's head about worthiness being super duper important.