Next change predictions

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
wtfluff

Re: Next change predictions

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Brent wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:58 pm
Don't dismiss Female Aaronic priesthood out of hand...Think about it:

<GIANT Snip>
I personally don't think any of the old bigots in charge right now are actually able to take this step.

They tossed the "wimmen" a tiny bone by changing a couple words in the endowment ceremony hoping to make them happy. (The "new wording" really doesn't do a whole lot to change women's place in LDS-Inc., so those changes are essentially useless.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:15 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 am
Tithing refunds for folks who figure out it's all made up?

(I can dream, can't I? :ugeek: )
OMG! This is my fantasy!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:31 pm

dogbite wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:28 am
They seem to be relaxing things this time around. Assuming nelson lives on a while I think some more realigning of the PoGP is likely. The Book of Moses has as much history and literal problems as the BoM and BOA plus the uncovering of the commentary. The essays discredit all of these to varying degrees as well as the the Joseph Smith History.

The literal aspects of all of these have to be toned down in light of modern scholarship and understanding. Can't be decaconized yet, there is doctrine that needs tweaking first. Look for metaphoric interpretation to increase. We've seen the BOA was inspired, not translated from Holland. Expect similar for Moses. As to the JS History, that could be downplayed just as the Lectures on Faith. Our modern interpretation of the FV contradicts the LoF and the history could be recast as Joseph telling what he believed about things rather than factual statement. Just as the apologists do with problems in the Book of Mormon. ”the Nephites believed that but it's not necessarily what happened." In regards to Adam and Eve or the flood or tower of Babel. And so on.

Oaks would probably go hardline against gays and such. I can see him doubling down on literalness. I would expect things to tighten up under him.

The PoGP is doomed is my long term prediction as I don think even Oaks finds it defensible it valuable enough to well known doctrine.
I would pray for this.
Last edited by deacon blues on Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:34 pm

Linked wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:35 am
jfro18 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:06 pm
alas wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:46 pm
Unfortunately for us liberalMormons, progressives, NOMs and apostates, I don’t think there will be changes to WoW or sacred undies. I think it will be another of uncle Rusty’s weird pet peeves that he has held for 40+ years, sort of like not calling Mormons “Mormons”. It is going to be something that is not even on us apostate’s radar.
If I had time and cared enough, I'd read a lot of RMN's old talks to see what kinds of ideas he proposed or alluded to early on and make predictions from there as to what he might implement now that he has been "unleashed."
He wrote the infamous "Conditional Love" article. Maybe he will change the first great commandment and the second which is like unto it to be "Love thechurchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints with all your heart and Love your neighbor as yourself but only if they are doing what you have decided is right".

Sometimes I wonder if that would actually require any changes though, it seems like that is often where the mormon church's teachings lead anyway.
I fear this: CONDITIONAL LOVE :(
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:00 pm

Women can marry as many 14 year...ummm sorry, several months shy of their 15th birthday boys as they would like. This is to help them stop p,aging with their little factories.

You KNOW Russ had fantasies of this when he was a young deacon...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:06 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:55 am
Girls between the ages of 11 and 18 can pass the sacrament. However they still will not be allowed to bless it.
I’ve heard some wards have the YW pass sacrament to the nursing mothers lounge. I can see this as a potential change.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:11 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:47 am
I think they will change it to allow coffee/tea.
It would be amazing if something like that happened because, based on what has happened with past changes, people would be eager to call it a revelation and would be falling all over themselves to rush out buy up all of the coffee and coffee-makers in the valley. The next Sunday the pews would be full of jittery people bearing testimony about how, even though they don't like the taste of coffee, they're sacrificing and making an effort to drink as much as possible to help fulfill the revelation. At least, that's what I would be doing.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:17 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:11 pm
StarbucksMom wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:47 am
I think they will change it to allow coffee/tea.
It would be amazing if something like that happened because, based on what has happened with past changes, people would be eager to call it a revelation and would be falling all over themselves to rush out buy up all of the coffee and coffee-makers in the valley. The next Sunday the pews would be full of jittery people bearing testimony about how, even though they don't like the taste of coffee, they're sacrificing and making an effort to drink as much as possible to help fulfill the revelation. At least, that's what I would be doing.
Can you imagine FT meeting?
Guy: I was living this revelation for years before it was an official revelation. It kept me from going to the temple, but I guess now I can go to the temple, now.
~2bizE

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:39 pm

hiding in plain sight wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:51 am
Of course no one is stopping you from going commando right now.
You know all my secrets.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:34 am

The results of an area authority council have trickled down to my calling. If it’s anything to go by, some of the rumors I’d hoped were coming true, aren’t.

Doubling down on 24x7 garment wearing (those youngins today find too many excuses to take them off and not put them back on fast enough), pushing temple attendance, convert baptisms and home study.

Lots of talk about how we oldies have to be perfect obedience examples. Lots of talk about giving our all to the church.

The hardest part for me is what good people these are and how much they’re giving up in family time and even in personal autonomy to a fraud.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:01 am

2bizE wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:06 pm
crossmyheart wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:55 am
Girls between the ages of 11 and 18 can pass the sacrament. However they still will not be allowed to bless it.
I’ve heard some wards have the YW pass sacrament to the nursing mothers lounge. I can see this as a potential change.
I came across a post elsewhere that was about blessing the sacrament. The gist was that if you take the words very literally, it's not the actual priest that is doing the blessing, it's god the eternal father. In that light, it's just a prayer and anyone should be able to give it.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin