Stake Center burns.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
deacon blues

Stake Center burns.

Post by deacon blues » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:37 pm

I was sorry to hear about the Stake center in St. George burning just weeks before it was ready to open. Arson is suspected. If it was arson I hope they catch the perpetrator.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

jfro18

Re: Stake Center burns.

Post by jfro18 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:42 pm

Yep - I know people have reasons to hate the church, but arson or vandalizing or creating stunts in church property is never OK.

Hopefully they catch whoever it is and get to the bottom of it, but definitely sucks to see.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:04 pm

I'm hoping they determine that it wasn't intentional arson.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:09 pm

They can usually determine where the fire started and if any propellant was used. Every few years there is a big construction like this that burns often due to electrical issues.
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:16 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:09 pm
They can usually determine where the fire started and if any propellant was used. Every few years there is a big construction like this that burns often due to electrical issues.
So far, the report I saw from St. George PD said that the propellant sniffing dogs had signaled that propellant was used where the fire started, and there was no "electrical" in the area that could have been the cause, along with no heat source that could have been the cause. It's a "criminal investigation" at this point.

https://www.cedarcityutah.com/news/arch ... E5LHFVKiM9
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Will the Church be able to rebuild the structure keeping the intact brick walls?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:36 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:30 pm
Will the Church be able to rebuild the structure keeping the intact brick walls?
Doubt it:

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:34 am

Blashyrkh wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:26 am
Has anyone seen Varg Vikernes lately? Ok nobody will understand the joke. Sorry.
Someone answering the description of Count Grishnackh was seen in the vicinity.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:20 am

moksha wrote:
More importantly, were the pictures of Jesus miraculously not burned in the inferno?
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:09 pm

w2mz wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:20 am
moksha wrote:
More importantly, were the pictures of Jesus miraculously not burned in the inferno?
Haha. It will be fun to see if any "relics" are produced. The urban legends / faith promoting stories that are made up after events like this are awesome. I hope those rumors are able to burst through the St. George Mormon Bubble.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:15 pm

w2mz wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:20 am
moksha wrote:
Yep. Miracles abound.

The church is going to stick this on the contractor.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:29 pm

Although I hate acts of arson like this and would have preferred an act of nature, I get annoyed by all the end of the world drama folks make this out to be. Yeah it's sad but if you put it in perspective, the rich LDS church had good insurance, has plenty of money to fix it, nobody was hurt or killed and it just means more employed construction workers for another several months.

I'm sure once it's rebuilt there will be plenty of mundane stories spun into Paul Dunn style miracles, and or play the persecution card. To me it's just more statistical proof that LDS buildings are no more or less special or protected than any other religious buildings. Maybe the ground dedication prayer wasn't good enough so Jebus will make them do it over. Maybe it's built over an ancient tapir burial ground.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:39 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:42 pm
Yep - I know people have reasons to hate the church, but arson or vandalizing or creating stunts in church property is never OK.

Hopefully they catch whoever it is and get to the bottom of it, but definitely sucks to see.
I had a friend say on FB, "they should find the people and prosecute for hate crimes."

I then reminded them that Utah's hate crimes bill has no teeth and that Republican lawmakers have blocked a stronger bill for many years.

Maybe it actually goes through this year...
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:29 am

Raylan Givens wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:39 pm
I had a friend say on FB, "they should find the people and prosecute for hate crimes."

I then reminded them that Utah's hate crimes bill has no teeth and that Republican lawmakers have blocked a stronger bill for many years.

Maybe it actually goes through this year...

Funny how your view on things chances when you are on the receiving end of it.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:20 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:34 am
Blashyrkh wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:26 am
Has anyone seen Varg Vikernes lately? Ok nobody will understand the joke. Sorry.
Someone answering the description of Count Grishnackh was seen in the vicinity.
Hagoth, you are my absolute hero! Thank you!
Confession: I had to look it up. But at least I cared enough to do that, right?

foolmeonce

Post by foolmeonce » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:23 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:29 pm
Maybe the ground dedication prayer wasn't good enough so Jebus will make them do it over. Maybe it's built over an ancient tapir burial ground.
I'm sure the dedicatory prayer was fine since some authority figure gave it. I'll be that the local saints just weren't quite righteous and faithful enough to warrant building protection from the good lord. Sure it's his house and all, but he has lots of others and he can't be bothered to protect it if the saints can't be bothered to step it up a little.
Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:42 pm

A couple days later, fire NOT confirmed as arson (nothing confirmed at that point...)

Edit: Another Link with a cool time-lapse of the event.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:25 pm

I'm confused. It says "the stake center that is being built in the vicinity of 300 East and 400 South," but that church was being built when I was 7, and moved up to SLC the 2nd or 3rd of Sept 1964. And the pictures look like the one I'm talking about (across the street to the east of the temple). I thought it was already a stake center. Was it not really a stake center? (That's where I went to the stake offices to have my pre-mission interview with the stake president, in his office, in 1980. That's where the stake offices were.) Were they remodeling it? Were they building a new building next door to the old one? I'm really confused as to how a new stake center is being built in the same exact spot as an old one.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:48 pm

Random wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:25 pm
I'm confused. It says "the stake center that is being built in the vicinity of 300 East and 400 South," but that church was being built when I was 7, and moved up to SLC the 2nd or 3rd of Sept 1964. And the pictures look like the one I'm talking about (across the street to the east of the temple). I thought it was already a stake center. Was it not really a stake center? (That's where I went to the stake offices to have my pre-mission interview with the stake president, in his office, in 1980. That's where the stake offices were.) Were they remodeling it? Were they building a new building next door to the old one? I'm really confused as to how a new stake center is being built in the same exact spot as an old one.
The burned building was replacing an old building. I'd guess it is replacing the one you remember from the past, which was torn down to make way for this new, now destroyed building.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:41 pm

Okay. Thank you. Now it makes sense. Yes, the old building would be the one I remember. Even though I live in the next town over and go to St. George a lot, I have not been in the temple area since Christmas before last when we went to look at Christmas lights.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK