The gospel for dummies

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Newme

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by Newme » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:37 pm
Newme wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:27 pm
Have you tried the small gospel principles class - and act like a difficult, inquisitive investigator?
I remember some years back when I returned to Church after a 30-year hiatus. I was in the Gospel Essentials class with a few newbies and a number of those who had been with the Church their entire lives. I like to ask questions to help me understand what is being taught. I asked several questions on LDS cosmology when the instructor started getting indignant. I thought we were going to have an unpleasant scene. The instructor was a lawyer, so I imagine he was enumerating his response when he suddenly relaxed and gave a kind and helpful explanation. It was beneficial for the class since even the cradle to grave Mormons admitted they never understood that before. Mormons are generally not encouraged to ask deep questions, and only the inexperienced and foolish like myself ask such questions.

BTW, I purchased the book Mormonism for Dummies when I made that return to Church. It would make a handy study guide for LDS Seminary students.
I love when people ask deeper questions - even if it makes some uncomfortable. And I imagine your questions may have woken up some of those members who had heard the same thing over and over for decades.

I’m gonna miss gospel principles. Maybe they keep gospel doctrine instead to make attendees feel smarter - or maybe that’s why it’s always been more popular. Even if it had the best wisdom delivered most effectively, I imagine the pride would prevent most mormons from reading “Mormonism for dummies” - but the title may be fitting. :) Who would be succored into giving 10% of their income to a black hole edged with corporate empire, in exchange for social worthiness? Me! I did - and so many others who were brought up in such insanity.