Salt Lake as Luxor

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Salt Lake as Luxor

Post by moksha » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:23 pm

I was watching a TV program a while back that was showing the Temple of Luxor in Egypt honoring the pharaohs. Given the LDS/Reformed Egyptian connection, it occurred to me that some similar structure honoring the prophets in Utah would be both a feather in the collective LDS cap and a good tourist draw/missionary venue. Throw in a food court and it could be called Valley of the Prophets or something similar.

What do you think?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hopebeat

Re: Salt Lake as Luxor

Post by Hopebeat » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:47 pm

This is hilarious, I can see that :lol:

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:37 pm

Don't give the institutional church any ideas. A full theme park for Mormonism does not sound completely out of character for the LDS church. The Potemkin Village of Nauvoo is crazy enough without getting a more elaborate homage to LDS authority and personality.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Explains why the original Battle Star Galactica series was so popular with TBMs.

They had that whole lost 12 tribes and Egyptian theme. But the theme of the show was a bit bassakwards, where the Cylons believed in the one true God and the colonies where polytheistic, like the Egyptians. It's too bad the Gs don't have some cool Egyptian symbols on them, like the God Min in the crotch area to encourage rapid replenishment of membership.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:37 pm
Don't give the institutional church any ideas. A full theme park for Mormonism does not sound completely out of character for the LDS church. The Potemkin Village of Nauvoo is crazy enough without getting a more elaborate homage to LDS authority and personality.
The Hill Cumorah Pageant was pretty much this. All it needed were the carnival barkers, but I suppose the anti booths kind of filled that role.