What Would It Take to Keep You?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
slavereeno

What Would It Take to Keep You?

Post by slavereeno » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:02 pm

"At the rate things are changing, you may as well stay in the church!"

I find this argument giving me anxiety. I have been asked "Can't you acknowledge all of what they have already done, and admit its good and that given time it can be a great religion to stay in? What does the church need to do to keep you?"

Here is what I would nail to the door of the temple:

1. Women get the priesthood and serve in leadership positions all the way to the top
2. Openly gay couples and individuals allowed, embraced, married and serving in the church
3. Elimination or complete overhaul of temple services
5. Open the finances
6. Teach over the pulpit tithing only on surplus income, and even then its optional
7. Callings are optional and truly volunteer positions.
8. Fewer meetings and devotionals
9. More focus on teachings of Christ and other great spiritual teachers and stories
10. Admit that the BoM is fiction
11. Make missionary service optional and reduce the time to 1 year
12. Word of Wisdom drops coffee, tea, beer and wine and becomes completely optional
13. Total overhaul of teachings about sex and modesty
14. Stop the claim to be the One and Only true church
15. No more Gas-lighting,
16. Completely open the church archives to the public
17. No More Garments, ever.
18. Officially disavow polygamy and restructure the teaching on marriage in the eternities completely
19. Sell all extracurricular financial schemes and donate the money to worthy causes, feeding the hungry, clothe the nekid, open source software...
20. Drop the articles of faith and encourage personal spirituality
21. Treat all the standard works as "allegorical"
22. No one on one interviews with minors
23. No more probing sexual chastity questions of any kind to anybody
24. More encouragement for professional counseling for social and family issues
25. One hour church, that's uplifting and teaching but searching one's inner self instead of pounding a specific dogma

I suppose that would be a good start. The bottom line is I don't really want any religion anymore. I'm just done with that in my life. But the little changes they are making are so far from what that list has on it, (and it isn't even a complete list), its almost an insult to suggest they should make me happy about the church again. :evil:

Fifi de la Vergne

Re: What Would It Take to Keep You?

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:22 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:02 pm
The bottom line is I don't really want any religion anymore. I'm just done with that in my life.
You and me both. There is nothing they can change at this point that would convince me to resume being an active member of their church. Once it sparked joy and I drew from my participation a sense of joy and being beloved and self-worth that I had never known before. Now, there's just too much water under the bridge, too many ugly memories. And nothing they can change at this point will be enough to convince me that God is behind it all, which was what allowed me to accept it all for so many years. It's a relationship that has run its course. I'd like to see them change from being a toxic influence in so many people's lives, but I can't imagine changes that would persuade me to re-engage on any meaningful level.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Fifi de la Vergne wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:22 pm
I'd like to see them change from being a toxic influence in so many people's lives, but I can't imagine changes that would persuade me to re-engage on any meaningful level.
This is true, I have a bit of angst that these continual moves will keep DW and my Kids in indefinitely. Since the toxicity will be balanced by these gradual moves for the better. I need to be more accepting of the "stay in" path.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:54 pm

God to exist!

...and no more burlap walls and funny underwear!

Or funny underwear made from burlap walls!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Here's one I didn't see on your list Slavereeno
  • Apologize for almost 200 years of lying and gaslighting
Yeah, I know it seems that the current Q15 Liars is incapable of doing anything close to apologizing. If they did in fact do so, the vast majority of the Q15 Liars also needs to resign and let some new blood reorganize and run the show.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Doesn't matter what changes they make - they can't make the Church what it claims to be. Making a fraudulent, oppressive Church incrementally less oppressive doesn't change in the slightest its fraudulence.

Short answer: nothing. The Church is a fraud - making it nicer shouldn't make me want to stay. It's just making a lie a nicer lie.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Good list Slavereeno. I agree with those who say "nothing".

I appreciated the social aspects of spending time with a tribe, but I hate the core of what mormonism stands for. I could never embrace it again. Worshipping a god, claiming to be the only path to an imagined heaven, claiming feelings show truth, avoiding any topics that might infringe the group worldview, etc, would have to go.

If it were a place to meet up with friends for a couple hours a week and discuss topics and issues I care about, and to plan and carry out service activities that helped real problems, I would be happy to go.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:15 pm

They would stop the nonsense that it's the one "true" church. Of course, you throw that out and I don't know what it would even look like anymore. Who would wear their stupid underwear if they didn't have to? Prohibit family members from weddings? Pay 10% of their income to an institution that won't tell them what they are doing with it? If it isn't "true," than it's nothing other than another social organization. I may as well join Rotary.
Fifi de la Vergne wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:22 pm
slavereeno wrote:
The bottom line is I don't really want any religion anymore. I'm just done with that in my life.
You and me both. There is nothing they can change at this point that would convince me to resume being an active member of their church. Once it sparked joy and I drew from my participation a sense of joy and being beloved and self-worth that I had never known before. Now, there's just too much water under the bridge, too many ugly memories. And nothing they can change at this point will be enough to convince me that God is behind it all, which was what allowed me to accept it all for so many years. It's a relationship that has run its course. I'd like to see them change from being a toxic influence in so many people's lives, but I can't imagine changes that would persuade me to re-engage on any meaningful level.
Yeah, I'm kind of religioned out.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:47 pm

I would nail a list of exactly two items to the door.
  • Stop teaching members to have pride on behalf of the church.
  • Stop making God out to be a judgmental, obsessive-compulsive, narcissistic asshole.
I don't really care to defend God, because I don't know if one exists or is worth worshipping. The problem is that in Mormonism, for a lot of people, trying to be like God makes them into Pharisees, and learning about God fills them with fear and shame.

But they have unstable pride on behalf of the church to make them feel all better. So their self-esteem takes a hit by learning about Mormonism's God, and then gets fixed up by identifying strongly with the church and exalting it. It's pathological.

These two things motivate and perpetuate all of the worst aspects of the church.

To answer the original question, the only thing that would make me seriously consider returning is if the church made a public move to reconcile with anyone. I would regard that as a sign that the organization is actually repenting of its narcissism.
Last edited by Reuben on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:59 pm

No matter what they change today under Nelson, the church is still built on a lie.

So with that said, there's nothing that could get me back. Even if they drop the garments, tithing, creepy temple ceremony, etc... it's still based on a lie.

Maybe if they changed their logo to include the words "Joseph Made It Up" I'd respect them, but I'd never join them.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:14 pm

The standard works are not what tbey are purported to be. And there is no mormon church without their validity.

So there is nothing to stay for no matter what they change. All they change is window dressing if there is no truth in tbeir core claims

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:44 pm

slavereeno wrote:
It's so much this for me. About 6 months after I stopped going to church, I realized I was never giving anything that much of my time, energy, etc. ever again. There's nothing that I can think of that would convince me to give religion a part in my life again.

I'm 100% fine with being done with religon.

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:10 am

Anything temple related gone. Temples are just nice places to go and sit and think. I think they are beautiful inside.

Better music and people who want to do their calling. Let people pick.

I am really not a church person. We tried a dozen churches in six months, then decided it isn't for us.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:25 am

slavereeno wrote:
"At the rate things are changing, you may as well stay in the church!"
"If they have to change so many things, it was obviously wrong in the first place. Why didn't I get out sooner?!"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:30 am

Once again Slavreeno you nailed it !!!! I think your list is spot on and would keep many people "in" . Not much to add except an optional 2nd hour Bible study . Thanks.

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:09 pm
Doesn't matter what changes they make - they can't make the Church what it claims to be. Making a fraudulent, oppressive Church incrementally less oppressive doesn't change in the slightest its fraudulence.

Short answer: nothing. The Church is a fraud - making it nicer shouldn't make me want to stay. It's just making a lie a nicer lie.
This is the fundamental issue - the church's whole stated reason for being is based on fiction. If they changed enough to address the fundamental issues, it would cease to be the church in any way that makes it different.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Sounds like a used car salesman pitch.
“What will it take to get you into this new cult, erh religion”
~2bizE

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Yup, once again NBI you hit the nail on the head.

The church adds no value to my life. The doctrine is fake, the history is fake, the friendships are fake. Waiting on fake, imaginary powers to improve my life is not a good plan; it just doesn't work. I'd rather use that time and energy to take action to improve my life in meaningful ways.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:05 am

slavereeno wrote:
Same. However, if the Lord of Light was actually real, I would sign up to be a red priest.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.