2 faced gentiles

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Re: 2 faced gentiles

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Too bad the church can't recognize that the Book of Mormon Musical is probably the most accurate and positive available window into their world.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Re: 2 faced gentiles

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:41 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:34 pm
This is one of the reasons why I don't see the Board of Directors of LDS-Inc. making changes to things such as the Word of Wisdom. They want to "Keep Mormonism Weird." (That "peculiar people" saying, blah blah blah.) The whole "Every member a missionary" thing doesn't help either, as many believer think the have to push their weirdness on people who don't buy in to the mormon version of weirdness. Calling out other folks for drinking "unhealthy" coffee, while drinking massive amounts of caffeinated sodas and energy drinks is hilarious when applying Occam's Razor. (Or just normal old rational thinking.)

I don't think non-mormons spend much time wandering around mocking or judging mormons. And not telling weird people that they are weird to their face is just the socially polite thing to do.

I agree, they need to keep the super special narrative going, it's one of the strongest facets of tribalism that keeps the One True Church claim alive. It works for Portlandia.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE