Should I Do This Interview?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
achilles

Should I Do This Interview?

Post by achilles » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:27 pm

I'm a non-traditional student at an area university in Utah. I ended up talking to a reporter for the college newspaper about my experiences with fifteen years of "conversion therapy", because she was researching a story regarding a bill to ended conversion therapy for minors in Utah (a bill which failed this week). The editor of the newspaper emailed me and asked for an interview. I gave the reporter my name and talked about my specific beef with the Church on this issue.

Should I do the interview? I would basically be outing myself as gay and exmormon. It may be time for me to tell my truth, but I don't know if I ought to do it. I could do the interview and request that he use a pseudonym. I don't know.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Wonderment

Re: Should I Do This Interview?

Post by Wonderment » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:21 pm

HI Achilles,

You already spoke with the reporter, and then the editor called and asked you for a second interview? Is this correct? Or, did you speak with the reporter, then the editor called to ask permission to publish the interview, and you're wondering if you should grant permission to publish it with a pseudonym replacing your real name? Thank you for any clarification you can provide --- Wndr.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Wow.

First of all ((Hugs))!

Giving a formal interview is probably going to be triggering. And it's probably going to bring up lots of stuff you forgot and you'll have to be prepared to deal with all that again. If you're not in a place to deal with all of this right now, now might not be the time to share your story.

On the other hand, sharing your story might be more cathartic and healing than it is traumatic. And your story would help others understand how harmful this "therapy" is.

Only you can make the call. We will support you no matter what you decide.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:27 pm

This is a difficult one! I'm in no position of any authority to offer advice. I have a couple of gay kids, but they were able to escape TSCC before it had significant impact on their adult lives. All I can say is that I'd support you any way I could if you feel this interview can bring to light the ignorance and bigotry of TSCC and help others who went through what you did. There might be someone out there fighting suicidal thoughts that might find comfort or encouragement by it. I guess you have to try and weigh out the potential cost to your own situation. I think if you did do it anonymously that would still accomplish something without putting you at too much risk.

Good luck and hugs from me too!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:44 pm

If using a pseudonym is an option then it just comes down to how you personally feel about doing it, right? I won't advise, but I wish you the best either way.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:11 pm

One thing to consider.

Do you know the leanings of the college newspaper? Do they want to write a story that is sympathetic to your experiences or do they want to write a story that is sympathetic to the other side?

When I was in college I got interviewed by their newspaper. It wasn't over anything political or even anything that had a wide appeal, just a normal article. When I read the article my statements were so twisted and seated within the context that the author provided that I could hardly recognize my own words.

All I'm saying is be prepared for that. It can hurt when someone else takes your words to tell a story that you'd never tell.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:27 pm

I don't know how to advise on this, but whatever decision you make just know that it's yours and on your terms. If you end up doing the interview, you get to tell your story and make sure that if you think the questions aren't appropriate or fair that you can answer in that way.

And if you don't feel comfortable with the fallout, don't force yourself to do it. There's nothing wrong with just saying no.

alas

Post by alas » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Are you emotionally in a place where it won’t be too triggering? Are you out to everyone you care about? Is there anyone who will blame themselves for getting you into that so called “therapy”?

People really do need to know that this therapy does not work and is harmful. But please don’t hurt you by trying to help others.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:52 pm

alas wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:54 pm
Are you emotionally in a place where it won’t be too triggering? Are you out to everyone you care about? Is there anyone who will blame themselves for getting you into that so called “therapy”?

People really do need to know that this therapy does not work and is harmful. But please don’t hurt you by trying to help others.
This. Take care of yourself, achilles.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

achilles

Post by achilles » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:59 pm

I appreciate everybody's thoughts on this.

I decided to do the interview. I talked with the editor for about an hour. It was an excellent conversation. I described my own experience with conversion therapy, why I felt like I had to do it, and where I am now with it. At the end, I decided to have her use a pseudonym, and I feel OK with that. I'm going to provide a like to the article once it gets published, which should be this Friday or afterward.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Good for you. I wouldn't tell you what decision I think you should have made, but there's nothing about you that you should have to conceal. I look forward to the article.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:26 pm

achilles wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:59 pm
I appreciate everybody's thoughts on this.

I decided to do the interview. I talked with the editor for about an hour. It was an excellent conversation. I described my own experience with conversion therapy, why I felt like I had to do it, and where I am now with it. At the end, I decided to have her use a pseudonym, and I feel OK with that. I'm going to provide a like to the article once it gets published, which should be this Friday or afterward.
Sounds like a great experience. Glad it went well.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Glad you were able to give the inventory on your terms and that it went well -- sounds like a good experience overall and hopefully one that will help others who read it!