If the church were to admit and apologize...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.

If the church admitted and apologized for faults, (select up to 3)

My beliefs in the church would be restored, I would finally be able to forgive their dishonesty.
No votes
My beliefs would be partially restored. Forgiven, but not forgotten.
3%
My beliefs would not be restored, but I would have a much greater respect for the church.
87%
My beliefs would be crushed through the admission of guilt, I would be angry - too late, too little.
10%

Total votes: 31

blazerb

Re: If the church were to admit and apologize...

Post by blazerb » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Raylan Givens wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:11 pm
Never happen. But I don't expect churches to apologize. Same reason I don't expect them to "open the books" to us and give it to us straight. Whether it is Mormon or Islam, you give it straight and it will only rock the boat. The dues paying members want a nice smooth ride.
Exactly. I love the community aspects of the church, but I don't know that they could survive an honest prophet.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:27 pm

When a person is unwilling to apologize it can be thought of as a character flaw. When a Church is unwilling to apologize it is an institutional flaw.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Strange - the Catholics claim infallibility - Petrine supremacy of the pope, and yet no Catholic I have ever talked with believes their church or pope to be perfect...

Mormons do not claim the prophet or the church are perfect.... and yet... the culture acts like they are??
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson