What was your first NOM thought?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Newme

Re: What was your first NOM thought?

Post by Newme » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:00 pm

I wonder what common factors are in all faith crisis’s.
Realizing things aren’t as previously believed.
But how do people get to that point?
And why some and not others?

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:05 pm

I was about 10 years old when SWK lifted the PH ban for black men. Even as a 10 year old I realized the PH ban was bullshit.

Geocacher

Post by Geocacher » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:37 pm

Through much of my Mormon years, Prayer never seemed to work, but lately, I have seen so many times, when Prayer, really helped, in a big way. Even having the KJV, next to me, was quite something, because I would pray hard, then open up the bible, to see my answers. It is never easy.

With the church, I had major problems, with Eternal Marriage, even before the days of the Internet. I am now seeing things, that I need to be doing, to prep myself, for the next realm, of existence.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:35 am

Noah’s ark was my first shelf item. Then Adam & Eve. Then the essays started coming out and the BoM Essay really started. About that same time, I saw the South Park BOM episode. It has snowballed since that time.
~2bizE

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:23 am

I don't remember the very first one, but some early ones were:

- Shortly after my mission a friend of mine getting a film degree at BYU mentioned his disgust at how church movies were emotionally manipulative, and before my faithful defenses could kick in it rung true. I found it interesting the way he said it, almost embarrassed, and then kind of tried to take it back.

- Adam and Eve vs. geologic time

- Noah and all that didn't really make any sense

- Gay people's experience with mormon culture
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:37 pm

My first doubt came two days after I was baptized in 1981 , I was married and my sister in law was a TBM the missionaries finally decided to tell me about tithing !!!!! Looking back I have concluded this invalidates my baptism . From then on I was very skeptical but played the game for many years including time in the bishopric. Finally in 2014 I read a book by Lynn Wilder titled How we found our way out of Mormonism. After reading that book I was done !!! I was forced into baptism in Jan by my spouse so I am again playing the game just not feeling guilty about it this time around because if they can lie so can I ....

Random

Post by Random » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:52 am

They told you about tithing after your baptism? That is weird! I'm sure that's one of the missionary discussions, and they should all be given before baptism - even if a baptism date has been set.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK