Conversion Therapy Article

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
achilles

Conversion Therapy Article

Post by achilles » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi guys.

A few weeks ago I was wondering whether I ought to do this interview with my college newspaper about my experiences with reparative therapy. I decided to do it, and had a wonderful conversation with the author of the article. She did a great job at expressing my thoughts and feelings about it. I am posting a link to the article here:

http://signpost.mywebermedia.com/2019/0 ... idnt-pass/
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Reuben

Re: Conversion Therapy Article

Post by Reuben » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:56 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I hope one day you'll be able to put your name on your story, achilles.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:41 am

It’s heartbreaking at times reading how you felt and why you tried to change yourself. I hope this article and your words get a large audience. Thanks for sharing!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 am

That's an excellent article, Achilles. I'm so glad you did the interview.
In 2013, Lisonbee wrote that “living a homosexual lifestyle may cause individuals to choose to commit suicide.”
The first time I read this quote I think there was visible steam coming out of my ears. It is difficult to comprehend the stupidity behind such a thoughtless comment.

I also have doubts about the church's sincerity in apparently supporting the bill. Governor Herbert shot it down and from what I have seen, Herbert is a pawn of the church. He actually said in a TV interview that he thinks the church should have final say about things like medical marijuana, regardless of what the voters want.

I think the church has had enough public embarrassment lately that they are putting on a friendly face in public but working behind the scenes with different goals. Just look at how they fought Prop 2, and then took credit for it as a Christlike act of compassion when they failed but managed to get it altered.

I have no doubt that the Dallin Oaks contingent of church leadership still believes in and supports conversion therapy and would happily make it mandatory if they could. I wanted to put a fist through the wall when I real Oaks' statement that "we are conscious that there are abuses and we don’t accept responsibility for those abuses." This is the kind of hypocrisy that I hate above all things, considering that he personally supported the most severe form of conversion therapy at BYU. The church doesn't deny that they believe in, support, and participate in these kinds of practices, they just don't "accept responsibility." This fits the pattern of his previous statement that, "the Church doesn't seek apologies and we don't give them.”
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:36 pm

Great interview!

I would have stayed anonymous too. There's just too many crazy people out there and this way you control your own narrative.

Thanks for the link.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg