Going to be in Utah in April

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Reuben

Going to be in Utah in April

Post by Reuben » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:38 pm

Anybody in Utah want to meet up?

I can do Salt Lake City or Provo, on April 9, 10 or 11. (That's a Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.) Breakfast, lunch or dinner, whatever. Our vacation schedule is totally open on those days, and I'm prioritizing meeting some of you fine folks.

I'll need it. Most of my Utah family is all-in, and we'll just have spent days with my wife's family, who are all very all-in. It feels kind of like enemy territory even though it shouldn't.

What say ye?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

achilles

Re: Going to be in Utah in April

Post by achilles » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:54 pm

I could kidnap you for a few hours
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:03 pm

achilles wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:54 pm
I could kidnap you for a few hours
Yasss boi! Do I get to be blindfolded, or was your offer metaphorical?

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:19 pm

NOM lunch should be doable for me in downtown SLC on any of those dates.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:14 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:19 pm
NOM lunch should be doable for me in downtown SLC on any of those dates.
Me too. :)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:43 am

This is a great idea. Like meeting up with mission buddies, but now since I have no religious beliefs in common, I don’t care to meet anymore.
~2bizE

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:43 pm

Awrite then, there are now two questions that matter.

1. Which day?

2. What noms?

See what I did there? Huh?

Also, I move that we kidnap achilles as part of this activity to ensure that he makes it.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:52 pm

My preference is Wednesdays, least amount of meetings those days to I can typically get away after 11 and have a couple of hours.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:41 pm

Tuesdays are bad for me, but Wednesday or Thursday might work, depending on work scheduling...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:16 pm

Could also do Wednesday or Thursday provided that work stays out of the way.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:48 pm

Wednesday is best for me. My daughter flies in on Thursday
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Sounds like Wednesday, April 10th is the day!

Now what do we nom, and where? I haven't a clue what's good around there because I live in the UK.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:01 pm

You live in the UK? That's so cool. If we are just interested in fast food I would suggest a food court at one of the malls. But I'm wondering if our British friend, Reuben, would enjoy something a bit more, um selective. Personally, I like almost anything, so maybe somebody else should make suggestions.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:16 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:01 pm
You live in the UK? That's so cool. If we are just interested in fast food I would suggest a food court at one of the malls. But I'm wondering if our British friend, Reuben, would enjoy something a bit more, um selective. Personally, I like almost anything, so maybe somebody else should make suggestions.
I'm afraid I have to disappoint you by being American. (I could fake an accent well enough to fool you, though.) I'm not that selective myself. Our somewhat stuffier cousins on this side of the pond haven't rubbed off on me yet.

To me, it's really more about fine people than fine food, and not in a cannibally way.

If there's a place to eat where I could get a really nice cup of coffee, that would be cool. I'm still sampling the shockingly wide range of flavors of the devil's nectar.

Or some interesting ethnic food. I'm always up for that.

Or a great barbecue. There's not a lot of that over here.

Or a place one of you just loves to take people to.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:10 pm

So let me throw out a few ideas

Ethnic types I personally like are Thai, Lebanese, Greek, and Mexican (lots of choices for the last one). A place called Spitz specializes in Doner Kebabs and sells some good craft brews.Vietnamese noodle houses seem to be a fad of late, although not my favorite. The food court at City Creek has a mix of ethnic that includes (IIRC) Mexican, Greek, Italian, and some Asian varieties.

R&R is the best known barbecue around here and they have added new locations lately. I like Sugarhouse barbecue as well. There are others, but those are the ones I am most familiar with. Pipe up if you have another favorite.

If you like a good hamburger, Lucky 13 is a bar with great burgers.

I don't really know where to get a good cup of coffee with lunch. But there are plenty of coffee shops around and some of them may have a decent lunch menu.

I think we should prioritize a place that is conducive to conversation (not too noisy), since chatting with our friend from across the pond is a rare opportunity.

FWIW.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:15 am

I vote for cheap Mexican. La Frontera? Or is there another similar, somewhat of a dive Mexican place downtown (With free, easy parking?)

Coffee? There's Salt Lake Roasting Company, or Milcreek Coffee Roasters. I'm pretty sure they both serve food with their magic bean infusion beverages.

(ETA: I'm sure there are lots of other coffee locations also, I visit downtown very infrequently.)
Last edited by wtfluff on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:28 am

Lots of great suggestions!

Now, it turns out we have a constraint: I might have to use Trax on the way back. What does that do to our choices?

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:00 am

How about the original Red Iguana? It has that dive-y kind of feel coupled with arguably the best Mexican in town. And I think Trax runs right up North Temple.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:29 am

DPRoberts wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:00 am
How about the original Red Iguana? It has that dive-y kind of feel coupled with arguably the best Mexican in town. And I think Trax runs right up North Temple.
Well, by dive-y, I was also thinking cheap (which Red Iguana is not.) :ugeek:

But... Reuben is coming to town, we're celebrating! (So if the consensus is Red Iguana, I won't complain.)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:11 am

I have classes right in the middle of the day, but I'll keep an eye out and join you if possible, or maybe I'll show up late for flan.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."