Baptized DS

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Baptized DS

Post by Linked » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:22 am

Well, the baptism is complete. I baptized, someone else confirmed as requested by DS because he wanted to include everyone. It was an interesting day. Both sides of the family filled up the primary room in support of my son, it's nice for him to know that so many people love him. We made a bit of a game of the baptism, he wanted me to keep him under for 10 seconds, but 2 or 3 seconds in he made it clear he was ready to come up. My mom gave him her most precious gift during her talk on the Holy Ghost; an all-in mormon worldview where there is a god who will comfort you and help you find your keys because you are a devout mormon. DW gave a nice talk on baptism, ending with a beautiful quote from Mr. Rogers: "You've made this day a special day, by just your being you. There's no person in the whole world like you; and I like you just the way you are." I thought it was cheesy in the show, but in the context of a baptism where the underlying message is that there is something fundamentally wrong with you that needs to be fixed, I really appreciated that quote.

DW gave me a sincere thank you on the way home, and even skipped the second hour in church the next day to go on a family bike ride.

This is my mixed faith marriage and family.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

dogbite

Re: Baptized DS

Post by dogbite » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:12 pm

i baptized and confirmed my youngest as a nonbeliever. It was OK. Youngest is now a nonbeliever as well.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:35 pm

Congrats on the nice day.

Everyone wins!

10 seconds is a long time when you can't breath. That would have been funny if he had made it that long. Everyone would have been holding their breath thinking what is he doing??

Hope you weren't garment free under the white jumpsuit! That would have been awkward.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:28 pm

dogbite wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:12 pm
i baptized and confirmed my youngest as a nonbeliever. It was OK. Youngest is now a nonbeliever as well.
That's awesome, nice to know it can work out. The day was fine, it was just a little hard to hear DS be taught things I disagree with and just smile and nod; but that's every Sunday... I tried to remember that I see him everyday and will have many opportunities to teach him things I believe.
Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:35 pm
Congrats on the nice day.

Everyone wins!

10 seconds is a long time when you can't breath. That would have been funny if he had made it that long. Everyone would have been holding their breath thinking what is he doing??

Hope you weren't garment free under the white jumpsuit! That would have been awkward.
Yeah, things went ok. I don't know if I could have held him under that long even if he didn't squirm, but it was my way of making the baptism less about purity and cleanliness and more about anything else.

DW bought me new garments just for the baptism. She is pretty amazing about getting everything ready for events.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

aoirselvar

Post by aoirselvar » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:52 pm

I had baptized a couple of my kids after I stopped believing but once I told my DW she asked me to not do priesthood ordinances if I didn’t believe in them. It was one of our compromises. So my son that is turning 8 will be baptized by my FIL. Which is fine , but I’m not completely out as a non-believer, especially outside my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:16 pm

I'm glad it went well -- it sounds like it went as good as it could, which is all you can ask for sometimes. :)

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:53 pm

This was very nice. I love that everyone came and showed him how much they care for him. I think he will remember that.

Sundays are for bike rides and skiing in my opinion. Sounds like a good weekend.

My daughter turns eight next week. I am sure there will be secret conversations about why she is not moving toward that big event.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens