General NOMfrence Saturday Morning!!!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Newme

Re: General NOMfrence Saturday Morning!!!!

Post by Newme » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:43 am

MoPag wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:37 am
"Come Follow Me" will save the day! :roll:
...or not. ;)
When they say that, they don’t mean follow Christ in any church or not - but to follow THEM.

Seriously, I know it’s not all or nothing. In fact, polarized thinking so ingrained in the church is, to a significant extent, leading to its downfall. Nobody and no group of people are perfect. Take the best, leave the rest. But I’d say Christ was right in saying not to follow or trust in the flesh - no matter how popular the prophet.
Last edited by Newme on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:43 am

StarbucksMom wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:41 am
I don’t know how to scroll back to the beginning for quotes, so what’s a FSOY??? (as scripture now?)

And no coffee yet? This conference is a rip off.
For the strength of youth pamphlet.

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:44 am

The idea of turning my home into a missionary training center would resonate a lot more if we didn't know for a fact that at least one MTC president has been a sexual predator. I hold my home to a much higher standard than I hold the MTC.
StarbucksMom wrote:
Right? I ate my vitamin pills for nothing. (But just to be on the safe side I also had a mango diet coke.)
Last edited by AdmiralHoldo on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:45 am

StarbucksMom wrote:
I don’t know how to scroll back to the beginning for quotes, so what’s a FSOY??? (as scripture now?)
For the Strength of Youth
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:45 am

Wife went to bathroom, paused the tv, came back and resumed but now it is in Spanish. Now I have to figure out how this happened. This happened during Eyrings talk.
~2bizE

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:46 am

StarbucksMom wrote:

For The Strength of Youth...

Was that announced (that's it's scripture now???)

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:47 am

2bizE wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:45 am
Wife went to bathroom, paused the tv, came back and resumed but now it is in Spanish. Now I have to figure out how this happened. This happened during Eyrings talk.
Tender mercies?
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:47 am

2bizE wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:45 am
lol
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Geocacher

Post by Geocacher » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:51 am

I rejoice, that this session,is about over.

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:51 am

AdmiralHoldo wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:36 am
MoPag wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:33 am
Sounds like he's trying to scare us. I can't believe he hasn't cried yet.
It's always nice when The Family(TM) is used as a bludgeon to control people. Just like Jesus wanted!

"Even when family members aren't living in the home." Isn't the place a person lives, by definition, a home? Are they living in a van down by the river?
Hey can you please help me out, I'm not watching. What are they saying about when they don't live in the home? Is this about preaching to adult children? That is the last thing that my MIL needs to hear.
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:53 am

Well that session was boring.

Oh this guy is giving a talk with in a prayer! LOL! :lol:

He's like "They didn't ask me to speak and I'm going to make them regret it with the prayer."
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks for clarification mopag and lost.

Wow-For Strength of Youth is scripture??! What a load of BS. They are SO desperate for actual modern day prophetic revelation that they are just pulling whatever the church prints, even youth guideline pamphlets out of their asses during conference and calling it scripture. So what about the past pamphlets? Didn’t they include Little Factory talks and other embarrassing nonsense? Better update the standard works/scriptures vs gospel app—stat! Thank God I threw out all our physical scruptures except my husband’s. (shhhhh) Don’t want to be out of compliance.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:55 am

trophywife26.2 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:51 am
AdmiralHoldo wrote:
MoPag wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:33 am
Sounds like he's trying to scare us. I can't believe he hasn't cried yet.
It's always nice when The Family(TM) is used as a bludgeon to control people. Just like Jesus wanted!

"Even when family members aren't living in the home." Isn't the place a person lives, by definition, a home? Are they living in a van down by the river?
Hey can you please help me out, I'm not watching. What are they saying about when the don't live in the home? Is this about preaching to adult children? That is the last thing that my MIL needs to hear.
He told a story about how he figured out that he and another family member, not living with them, were praying for the same thing at the same time. I'm sure you'll see a meme about it soon.

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:02 am

MoPag wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:55 am
trophywife26.2 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:51 am
AdmiralHoldo wrote:

Hey can you please help me out, I'm not watching. What are they saying about when the don't live in the home? Is this about preaching to adult children? That is the last thing that my MIL needs to hear.
He told a story about how he figured out that he and another family member, not living with them, were praying for the same thing at the same time. I'm sure you'll see a meme about it soon.

Thank you. You really saved me from reading it.
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:07 am

StarbucksMom wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:54 am
Thanks for clarification mopag and lost.

Wow-For Strength of Youth is scripture??! What a load of BS. They are SO desperate for actual modern day prophetic revelation that they are just pulling whatever the church prints, even youth guideline pamphlets out of their asses during conference and calling it scripture. So what about the past pamphlets? Didn’t they include Little Factory talks and other embarrassing nonsense? Better update the standard works/scriptures vs gospel app—stat! Thank God I threw out all our physical scruptures except my husband’s. (shhhhh) Don’t want to be out of compliance.
Ok...I missed this!

Who announced that it's now scripture?

Is there anything in this pamphlet about same sex dating? If so, members will grab right onto that as it being doctrine and scripture now :roll:

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:08 am

Super boring.

Uchdorf's was the only half way palatable one, so +10 to him, but -20 to all the rest for boring me to tears and using all of the usual tropes you hear at every conference.

I want my COFFEE!!

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:14 am

AllieOop wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:07 am

Who announced that it's now scripture?

No. But the sister giving the talk sure was treating it like it was scripture.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:16 am

Correction- For Strength of Youth has NOT been canonized.

Sister Craven was quoting from it and showing great reverence for it. But it's not scripture. Thank the Gods :lol:

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:28 am

MoPag wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:16 am
Correction- For Strength of Youth has NOT been canonized.

Sister Craven was quoting from it and showing great reverence for it. But it's not scripture. Thank the Gods :lol:
Whew....seriously. That would have been huge, IMO.

Thanks for clarifying, MoPag!

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:49 am

I don't know if this belongs in the AM or PM tally, but +100 for the Church News excitedly reporting on church leaders meeting with Jacinda Ardern. 🤦