General NOMfrence Sunday morning!!!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
alas

Re: General NOMfrence Sunday morning!!!!

Post by alas » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:07 am

And I wish to lodge a complaint about the rapid inflation of negative points....no, never mind. Nelson deserves it. So many things wrong with that talk. I won’t torture anyone with specifics, but that was totally in the Mormon bubble. He has no concept of why people might not believe or care to get their endowments done. And I think his story is totally fiction because those reasons are nobody ever’s reasons. “I just can’t do all it takes to be Mormon cause it s too hard. Boohoohoo, so do my endowments for me after I die.” Fake fake fake.

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:19 am

alas wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:07 am
And I wish to lodge a complaint about the rapid inflation of negative points....no, never mind. Nelson deserves it. So many things wrong with that talk. I won’t torture anyone with specifics, but that was totally in the Mormon bubble. He has no concept of why people might not believe or care to get their endowments done. And I think his story is totally fiction because those reasons are nobody ever’s reasons. “I just can’t do all it takes to be Mormon cause it s too hard. Boohoohoo, so do my endowments for me after I die.” Fake fake fake.
Yeah - that one was so inconsiderate in so many ways.

Usually there is at least some good-feeling idea or story - but nothing. Even when he told about his daughter’s death bed, he focused on her church involvement & ensuring marriages stayed in the church - it was as if that is why he loved her. And I couldn’t help but think of the child-sex-abuse case brought against his other daughter. That is speculation, but the lies and stealing of tithes are factual. Tough to see him as a “prophet.”

Random

Post by Random » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:24 am

I didn't mind so much the diss on the Beatles (they can handle it) as on the song about love. It brought to mind a clear memory of Monson saying, with a sneer on his face and in his voice, "all you need is love." His point was that that was a stupid thing to say and wrong on all levels. I don't know who wrote Monson's talk for him that day (or who wrote the talk today), but dissing on love when God is Love, and God's commandments all hang on two laws: love God and love each other as you love yourself - well, really? I mean it's dissing Jesus, really (both Monson and this guy who just talked).
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:42 am

Random wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:24 am
I didn't mind so much the diss on the Beatles (they can handle it) as on the song about love. It brought to mind a clear memory of Monson saying, with a sneer on his face and in his voice, "all you need is love." His point was that that was a stupid thing to say and wrong on all levels. I don't know who wrote Monson's talk for him that day (or who wrote the talk today), but dissing on love when God is Love, and God's commandments all hang on two laws: love God and love each other as you love yourself - well, really? I mean it's dissing Jesus, really (both Monson and this guy who just talked).
Yeah, good point. They kind of dissed the entire foundation of belief in God and Christ.

Like seriously ask them, “What religion are you?”
Or... “What religion is your talk-writer?” :lol:

alas

Post by alas » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:48 am

Random wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:24 am
There is that angle to it also. “You don’t really need to love your neighbor or feed the poor. What you really need is to pay us money and do as we say.” Do they realize how unChristian they are being? Instead of “follow Christ” it is “follow us.”

Another -200 points for dissing love.

alas

Post by alas » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:57 am

Question. Is conference getting worse, or am I getting more intolerant of all things “eventhechurchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints”? And how do you even know?

This conference bothered me more than most. And my TBM but liberal spouse man turned it off at least once per session and this last one session, he turned off, then felt guilty and turned it back on, only to turn it off again, only to turn it back on and finally to leave the room. He will be back in for the documentary about uncle John Groberg’s book/movie, because John is married to his cousin.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:59 am

This is why people think/know that mormons aren't really Christian. We might talk of Christ, but he isn't the same guy that Christians talk about.

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:05 pm

I remember when I was (relatively) TBM, that when people would say we "worship a different Christ", I was bewildered what they meant. Now I can understand.

I'm currently watching the live feed on-line of the between session stuff and there is an extended bit on about refugees and how to support them. I still wonder how members of the church who are of a more conservative bent, especially in the current environment, reconcile this message.

I'm considering watching the final session (or part of it), which would be the first time in about 7 years! Talk me out of it. It might turn out very snark-worthy though.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:11 pm

crazyhamster wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:05 pm
I remember when I was (relatively) TBM, that when people would say we "worship a different Christ", I was bewildered what they meant. Now I can understand.

I'm currently watching the live feed on-line of the between session stuff and there is an extended bit on about refugees and how to support them. I still wonder how members of the church who are of a more conservative bent, especially in the current environment, reconcile this message.

I'm considering watching the final session (or part of it), which would be the first time in about 7 years! Talk me out of it. It might turn out very snark-worthy though.
That refugee piece, along with Sister Eubanks talk are about the most Christlike things to come out of this conference.

I'm sure it will be snark worthy.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Dear Pres. Nelson, If Adam and Noah received all their temple ordinances while on Earth (and as presumably righteous parents) and taught them to all their children, and so on, Doesn't it seem likely the the religious history of the third century B.C. would be radically different than what Anthropologists are discovering? I mean, every single person for several generations after Noah would at least know something about the endowment, eternal marriage, etc.

And yet Genesis tells us Moses had to be reminded of God's name- Yahweh. :o

I think President Nelson picked up the "Cleon Skousen History" virus in his youth. ;)

Remember "The First Two Thousand Years?"
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Random

Post by Random » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Newme wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:42 am
Like seriously ask them, “What religion are you?”
Or... “What religion is your talk-writer?” :lol:
Exactly!
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:26 pm

alas wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:48 am
There is that angle to it also. “You don’t really need to love your neighbor or feed the poor. What you really need is to pay us money and do as we say.” Do they realize how unChristian they are being? Instead of “follow Christ” it is “follow us.”

Another -200 points for dissing love.
I would laugh at this, except it is chillingly real.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:29 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:11 pm
That refugee piece, along with Sister Eubanks talk are about the most Christlike things to come out of this conference.

I'm sure it will be snark worthy.
When I decided to watch conference (it was almost at the end), I went back to Eubanks' talk and listened to the whole thing. I couldn't do that with any other talk. I did force myself to listen to most of Nelson, but finally decided he wasn't going to say anything interesting. Eubanks' talk was good, even compelling. When I wanted to turn it off, I found myself thinking, "Just one more minute."

PK

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:31 pm

Dear Sunday afternoon session,

Love, Coffee drinking Mormons

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:36 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:31 pm
Dear Sunday afternoon session,

Love, Coffee drinking Mormons

This was just posted on another forum by someone who claims to be an insider:
I can't say how I know...But absolutely watch next session, gonna be big
We will see. Hope "big" means good and not horrible :lol:

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Watching KSL between sessions is pretty tortuous. Those poor Amish LDS converts being paraded for a documentary. Out of one backwards fundamentalist religion right into another.

Random

Post by Random » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:00 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:36 pm

I guess I'm jaded. At this point, I don't think anything will be forthcoming.

PK

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:02 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:36 pm

I could be wrong of course, but all of the people who really do seem to get info are pretty silent so I'm not sure there's going to be anything earth shattering... but we still have the temple announcements to come so we'll see what else might get tossed in.

I really think if they're ever going to relax on WoW or garments it will be done quietly with some changes to the temple questions that are leaked out through a news article.

For the coffee NOMs I hope you get what you want, but I also kind of hope they don't because I don't want members thinking God just now decided coffee was OK just like a daily intake of sugary drinks.