Conference quotation stats

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

Conference quotation stats

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:17 pm

So having watched all sessions of conference...I know...I'm a masochist, I found some interesting data with regards to who is important enough to quote. Please note that these are by my count, so it could be a bit off.

I only counted direct quotes, not references made to individuals or attributions.

Jesus Christ was quoted 19 times in general conference. He was clearly referred to much more frequently, but his actual words and direct quotes were only used 19 times. Sister Eubanks had 8 of those or 42% of the whole. Without her, He would have only been quoted 11 times.

President Nelson was quoted 27 times; 8 instances more than the Savior. Interestingly this is 42% more times than Jesus. Without Sister Eubanks talk he would have been quoted 2.5 times more than Jesus!

Other current and recent general authorities were quoted 32 times, 13 instances, or 68% more times than Jesus. Without Sister Eubanks talk they would have been quoted almost 3 times more than Jesus!

I guess we know who we are really supposed to listen to heh?

-Lost

2bizE

Re: Conference quotation stats

Post by 2bizE » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:15 pm

That really sums up Mormonism doesn’t it?
~2bizE

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks for doing this. I don't think it's any coincidence that Sister Eubanks has the highest score from NOMfrence too.

For a church that is so f--king obsessed with 'Jesus' being in their name, they don't seem to want him in their teachings. It's sad really.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:04 am

MoPag wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:51 am
Thanks for doing this. I don't think it's any coincidence that Sister Eubanks has the highest score from NOMfrence too.

For a church that is so f--king obsessed with 'Jesus' being in their name, they don't seem to want him in their teachings. It's sad really.
Jesus is there.

Home Centered Come Follow Me Program = Jesus.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Random

Post by Random » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:04 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:17 pm
I guess we know who we are really supposed to listen to heh?
Sister Eubanks?

:P
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:22 am

MoPag wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:51 am
The Pharisees weren't too keen on Jesus' teachings either, but they weren't dependent on him for branding. What a dilemma.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."