Nelson's Scorched Earth Policy

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mormorrisey

Nelson's Scorched Earth Policy

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:25 pm

FIrst off, my I just say any thanks again, Mopag, for putting all of NOMference together and for having to watch all of that. I had to work, so reading this was much more enjoyable.

Well, I'm sure many of us will be dealing with Nelson's new scorched earth policy for mixed faith and apostate families - I already had an angsty conversation with Sis. M about it. "So where does this leave us?"

For the love of God.

What a horrendous message for EVERYONE, the apostate and believer alike. It creates anxiety and stress in the believer, and pisses off the unbeliever to no end. Who did he think would be blessed by such nonsense? What was to be gained, other than to create contention in homes?

Things were going great in my home until this bomb hit. Luckily I kept my friggin' cool and just matter of factly said that Nelson also believes in a conditionally loving God, and this is just part of what he believes. I don't believe in any of it, and if God punishes me for that, even as I keep my "covenants," try to love my neighbour and God too, then, well, he's not much of a God, is he? More like a petulant child than a ruler of the universe. And so I just ended with, "well, that leaves me the same today as it was yesterday, that I love you a lot." That quieted her a little, but it still ratcheted up the tension where it had been lessened for months. If anyone else is in the same boat, you have my sympathy today. We'll get through it, I know love eventually will win the day. But a pretty s****y day.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Stig

Re: Nelson's Scorched Earth Policy

Post by Stig » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:02 pm

I didn't actually see his talk, but I've seen a lot of reaction to it over at the exmo subreddit. I will be interested to see the transcript when it comes out.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:09 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:25 pm
We'll get through it, I know love eventually will win the day. But a pretty s****y day.
Sorry to hear this. I asked my TBM husband about his thoughts on Nelson’s and Anderson’s talks which I thought threw us apostate spouses under the bus. He didn’t hear anything 🤷🏼‍♀️ I honestly don’t know why he’s active. Wait. Feelings.

Sending you good thoughts and good luck that she forgets this quickly in view of the evidence of your love for her and the quality person you are.

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:41 pm

Can someone pls give a brief description of what Nelson said? I didn’t watch and no one said anything about his talk here except for stupid temple renovation BS. What did he say? Something about apostates/people who lose faith?

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:47 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:41 pm
Can someone pls give a brief description of what Nelson said? I didn’t watch and no one said anything about his talk here except for stupid temple renovation BS. What did he say? Something about apostates/people who lose faith?
This one gets the gist:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... _damaging/

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:53 pm

Wow. Thanks Anon. What a douchebag... “I am and have always been a perfect parent, but if your kids leave mormonism you will never see them after this life.” I know it’s all BS but what about heartbroken TBM parents who lost a rebellious teen to a car accident or whatever? Or parents up at night sick with worry over their kids who left the church?