My chance to speak on Easter

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mackman

My chance to speak on Easter

Post by Mackman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Well finally get my chance to speak on Easter, I consider myself more a Christian than Mormon . In the past I remember many Easters where Jesus was never mentioned !!!! I dont want to be that guy !!! I want it to be a very Christian generic talk but I need some ideas please. Any help would be welcome. Thanks

2bizE

Re: My chance to speak on Easter

Post by 2bizE » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Why don’t you speak on the Christian traditions of Easter particularly those that the Mormon church doesn’t really acknowledge or follow
~2bizE

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:04 pm

I would just stick with scriptures from the Bible. Talk about the garden tomb in Jerusalem - how neat it is that you can actually see where these events took place (unlike anything in the BOM :lol: )

I like to use the BLB - look at original words, and different translations:
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/le ... 1453&t=KJV

I'm actually doing Lent this year - no meat, and no refined sugars - sooo hard!! I like ash wed, and some of the other Christian traditions that go along with the holidays.

God luck to you!
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:10 am

Maybe take it as a challenge to write an NOM talk, but still be acceptable in a TBM ward.

1. All scriptures must be from the New Testament.
2. All quotations must be from non Mormons.
3. Include at least one quote form C. S. Lewis. (just for the fun of it.)
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:56 am

Here you go, a talk on Charity. It's totally NOMed up, but quotes all the right sources. I cobbled it together from various sources for my daughter to give as a lesson in YW, but then adapted it so it could be used in Sacrament Meeting....

http://roadkilldelight.com/NOM/CharityTalk.pdf

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:50 pm

This sounds like a really great opportunity!!!

If this were me, I'd definitely make Isaiah 1:18 a focus of my talk.
Isaiah wrote:"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."
Often times Mormons (or is it just people in general) like to hold onto their 'sins' even after they have repented. We continue to judge others after they have repented. We continue to judge ourselves after we repent. Our church leaders continue to judge us after we repent. We should use this scripture from Isaiah as an example of the comprehensive nature of the atonement. That is the miracle of Easter. Our sins can be completely washed away as if they never happened.

misterfake371

Post by misterfake371 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:49 pm

Hermey wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:56 am
Here you go, a talk on Charity. It's totally NOMed up, but quotes all the right sources. I cobbled it together from various sources for my daughter to give as a lesson in YW, but then adapted it so it could be used in Sacrament Meeting....

http://roadkilldelight.com/NOM/CharityTalk.pdf
Hi Hermey! Hey man a loooooooooooooong time ago I remember you typing, "hermey don't play that." on NOM and I laughed and laughed and laughed.
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13

misterfake371

Post by misterfake371 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:54 pm

You could use some of the information and arguments that Lee Strobel propagates. He talks a lot about the validity of the Resurrection. Here's his presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67uj2qvQi_k

He has a book called, "The Case for Christ." I've never read it, but I've watched the movie, also called The Case for Christ. It's on Netflix. It was really good.

yeah, and read a lot from the New Testament.
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:12 pm

I would make sure to include the Great Commandment as it was identified by Jesus as the core of his message. Mormons have the Word of Wisdom down pat, but they are still a bit hazy on the Great Commandment - especially loving the other part. I think some leaders have even sought to limit the definition of the other. Driving home the inclusiveness of this term would be beneficial for those hearing your talk.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:15 am

One of the most spiritual sacrament meetings I attended was when someone gave a talk on the stations of the cross. I am sure you could google a pretty good narrative and base your talk on it.

Newme

Post by Newme » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:40 am

(First, to wake everyone up, do your best impression of Robin Williams as you quote him,) “Spring is nature’s way of saying, LET’S PARTY!!!”

The Greek origin of the word, enthusiasm means “in spirit” or “inspired by God.” What makes you enthusiastic? Kids tend to be full of enthusiasm - why not adults? Maybe partly because it’s not one thing after another - but the same thing over & over. We get stuck in habits and routines - which can be good - but can also hold us back from trying new and exciting things.

Easter symbolizes rebirth. Being spiritually born again, and again and again... is a never-ending process in this life! Nobody “arrives” at perfection. Each of us are finding the need to put off old, lesser ways, so we can improve. And it can be exciting! Life is short! Why not live it to the fullest - and see what all the good we can do?

(Something like that... :) )

You could also get into symbolism - but that could get more controversial with interpretations. If it were a talk just for me, I’d love to hear about being spiritually born again and subconscious interpretations of scripture - like Christ telling Peter to cast the net on the right side of the boat (right side of the brain - more spiritual side).

Whatever you decide to speak about - I hope it goes well.
Last edited by Newme on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:46 am

misterfake371 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:54 pm
You could use some of the information and arguments that Lee Strobel propagates. He talks a lot about the validity of the Resurrection. Here's his presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67uj2qvQi_k

He has a book called, "The Case for Christ." I've never read it, but I've watched the movie, also called The Case for Christ. It's on Netflix. It was really good.

yeah, and read a lot from the New Testament.
Love it.
This is what came into my evil mind:
References for my Easter sacrament meeting talk today are from
The case for Christ and A handmaidens tale from Netflix as well as from Game of Thrones and Big Love from HBO...
~2bizE

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:31 am

2bizE wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:46 am
Love it.
This is what came into my evil mind:
References for my Easter sacrament meeting talk today are from
The case for Christ and A handmaidens tale from Netflix as well as from Game of Thrones and Big Love from HBO...
OMG- I love it! I wish I could get up to give a talk and start out with references like that! I am too radicalized now for them to ever ask me though... :cry:

Random

Post by Random » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:30 pm

This would definitely have my vote.
azflyer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:50 pm
This sounds like a really great opportunity!!!

If this were me, I'd definitely make Isaiah 1:18 a focus of my talk.
Isaiah wrote:"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."
Often times Mormons (or is it just people in general) like to hold onto their 'sins' even after they have repented. We continue to judge others after they have repented. We continue to judge ourselves after we repent. Our church leaders continue to judge us after we repent. We should use this scripture from Isaiah as an example of the comprehensive nature of the atonement. That is the miracle of Easter. Our sins can be completely washed away as if they never happened.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:30 pm

How did it go, Mackman?
Mackman wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm
Well finally get my chance to speak on Easter, I consider myself more a Christian than Mormon . In the past I remember many Easters where Jesus was never mentioned !!!! I dont want to be that guy !!! I want it to be a very Christian generic talk but I need some ideas please. Any help would be welcome. Thanks
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:00 am

It went well. Stayed with scriptures from the new testament , it was a complete NOM talk and nobody even knew it !!!!! Thanks to all for the great ideas .

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 am

Mackman wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:00 am
It went well. Stayed with scriptures from the new testament , it was a complete NOM talk and nobody even knew it !!!!! Thanks to all for the great ideas .
Well done, thou good and faithful NOM servant!!!! :D
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Newme

Post by Newme » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:43 am

MoPag wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 am
Mackman wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:00 am
Well done, thou good and faithful NOM servant!!!! :D
Every NOM member a missionary! :D

Random

Post by Random » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks for the report. I'm glad it went well. :thumbs up:

PK