I just read Nelson's conference talk.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
BriansThoughtMirror

I just read Nelson's conference talk.

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:46 pm

F***. It really was just as bad as everyone was saying. I walked through the room when my wife was watching that one, and I could tell it wasn't going to be one I wanted to hear, so I took my kid outside to play. DAMN. That was so bad. I didn't think it would be THAT bad. Man, that boils my blood. This church is abusive and a threat to my family in the here and now.

Rant over...
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

Corsair

Re: I just read Nelson's conference talk.

Post by Corsair » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 am

Yes, that conference talk was a tough one. I wonder if Nelson has a personal belief in when the Second Coming is expected to happen. "Time is running out" would tend to support that, but I'll bet he still would not expect it to happen within his life. But that still leaves the rest of us in mixed-faith marriages dealing with a new stack of expectations for unbelievers not following the prophet.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Pres. Nelson's talk doesn't ring true for me. The unnamed person who asked for his work to be done should be allowed to tell his side of the story. We don't know if that person has doubts, but do know Pres. Nelson considers him too weak to "follow the covenant path." Of course nobody gets equal time in Conference. :o Pres. Nelson also picked a particularly unsympathetic way to call apostates (like me) to repentance. He could have addressed questions in General Conference, (such as the roll back of the POX) instead he ignores the questions and issues. He says we "have not really sought to know that the Savior's Church has been restored" when earlier he says, "Thankfully I am not this man's judge." Well by those words he is judging the man, and me, and encouraging everyone else to do the same. I think we all should sit down and read the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican. (Luke 18)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:37 am

Corsair wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 am
Yes, that conference talk was a tough one. I wonder if Nelson has a personal belief in when the Second Coming is expected to happen. "Time is running out" would tend to support that, but I'll bet he still would not expect it to happen within his life. But that still leaves the rest of us in mixed-faith marriages dealing with a new stack of expectations for unbelievers not following the prophet.
Since several of his stories focus on death, eminent death or just being elderly (something he is well aware of), I think “time is running out” refers to us never knowing when death will come to each of us. Perhaps that sounds less ominous, but certainly more likely than there being a Second Coming any time soon. Since the 1st Century CE the 2nd Coming has been viewed as imminent. Just a manipulative tactic to keep us all in line.