Stake conference on Easter

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Stake conference on Easter

Post by 2bizE » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:18 pm

I’m hearing that a number of people are having stake conference on Easter Sunday.
Anybody have stake conference tomorrow? Who is the visiting GA? Is this a regional thing?
~2bizE

Anon70

Re: Stake conference on Easter

Post by Anon70 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:12 am

We are but not attending. I know who the GA is but it would out me to share...sorry.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:55 am

Anon70 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:12 am
We are but not attending. I know who the GA is but it would out me to share...sorry.
I guess i didn't think of that. I thought it sounded like a big regional video conference, but i guess not.
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:13 am

Mormons are pretty clumsy around the optics of Easter. Stake conference is a large gathering of believers on Easter where they will not be taking the sacrament. We can possibly let the most important Christian holiday interfere with stake conference, after all.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:34 am

Considering the average stake conference is about: Missionary work, worshiping JSj, Paying Tithing, Attending Temple, Following the prophet, etc. All sorts of thing that are not about actually following Christ. How better to be Mormon? Celibate the 2nd biggest Christian holiday by completely ignoring Christ.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:01 pm

My kids LOVE “Stank conference” because no church.
I haven’t been to Stake Conference for years.
Even my TBM husband dismisses it.

For a church who’s desperately trying to be more Christian, it does seem odd to skip the sacrament on the one day of the year of which the Sacrament most symbolizes. But a las, in practice it is the church of Mormon Church Leaders, more than Christ’s Church.

Wouldn’t that be interesting if the Church News had an opinion section where someone voiced concerns like this? (I know, “Dream on!”) ;)

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:18 pm

My sister's stake had Stank Conference yesterday too. Elder Larkin was their Area Authority (maybe the same one you had). He spoke for 45 minutes, apparently he spoke for 1.5 hours during the leadership session.

Very Easterly.
Illegitimi non carborundum.