Real estate offer

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Meilingkie

Real estate offer

Post by Meilingkie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:20 am

"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

crossmyheart

Re: Real estate offer

Post by crossmyheart » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:37 am

What I would give to be able to afford to live in Golden Colorado!

The suggestions though- a dog kennel or funeral home? Hmmm

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:39 am

Wonder why are are selling. There are two branch buildings in my area that have had the branches dissolved. The buildings are no longer used, but they keep them for whatever reason. So why sell once building and not others? Don't think they can make enough of the sale to be worth letting it go?

It is interesting that they want to retain mineral rights, even after the property sells. They think that oil will be found under it?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:29 am

This really isn't any indication one way or another. LD$ occasionally sells property/meeting houses when deemed appropriate.

There was an LD$ meetinghouse in Taylorsville, UT that sold many moons ago. Some Evangelical church bought it. I know of another meetinghouse in Kearns, UT that a Vietnamese Catholic group now inhabits.

Yes, the church is struggling with membership currently, but selling this property is likely business as usual. I recently toured an LDS meetinghouse under construction in AZ. Most meetinghouses are designed and built with a 50-year life span - and this was built in '63. This building is old and may have simply spent it's planned useful life.

Interestingly, the seller (LD$, inc.) retain all subsurface mineral rights - Water, Oil, Energy, etc. The Lawd's Lawyers are pretty sly.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 am

I like this one better.

Feels more churchy....but a little pricey for my flock to fund through their tithes.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/12204-F ... /15797386/

This one fits my Korean church budget. Did I mention I'm opening a Korean Church?

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/80380-A ... /15792407/

The Korean Lord has inspired me to purchase this building for the church and rename it the Rice Bowl. I'll serve Korean BBQ and we'll bowl on Sundays for the sermon! Follow the Korean Lord, aim for the Pins through the straight and narrow lane, and keep your balls clean! Get knocked down, get up and try again! White Bowling shirts are required to hold the priesthood in my church, beer and bowling is required for membership.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1819-30 ... /14378477/
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:41 am

Sorry Red Ryder

My balls aren’t that big....
Nor are the balls I play with.
Pool that would be, and classical billiards.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:06 am

I used to think it would be so cool to buy a church. There was a family who lived in an old LDS church where I grew up. They had a gym in their house. I don’t think I ever went inside, but it was something I thought would be neat to own.
~2bizE

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:21 pm

It they don't use the empty building, the state will start charging property taxes since it is not being used as a church. They have 1-3 years (different in every state). I'm sure Utah does NOT have this, but here in California, they sell the old building in a few years to avoid paying the taxes.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:08 pm

Very little retrofitting would be needed if sold to some other church. Perhaps changing the placard along with the writing on the door, making the baptismal font into a hot tub, and possibly putting a cross on top.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:12 pm

I have seen a stake center sold and turned into a funeral home in the Southern US. Seemed quite a good fit.

Random

Post by Random » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:55 pm

I would never buy from a seller who insisted on keeping mineral rights, water rights, etc. If I buy property, I'm buying the whole thing (I think Colorado doesn't allow people to have water rights - for that reason, I'm not interested in moving to Colorado).

That said, I think it would be cool to buy a church and live in it. I'd prefer something with more personality than the meetinghouses the LDS Corp has built in the last 40 or so years, though.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:23 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:37 am
The suggestions though- a dog kennel or funeral home? Hmmm
This is Golden Colorado - It must become a Brewery. (And restaurant. Why not?)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed May 01, 2019 4:45 am

There used to be a family in my ward that lived in a converted Protestant church. Even after adding several bedrooms, they had a HUGE living room/dining room (former chapel/santuary area). Also had a nice, industrial grade kitchen and plenty of more room to expand with a large unfinished basement.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams