BYU valedictorian comes out.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
deacon blues

BYU valedictorian comes out.

Post by deacon blues » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:34 pm

The times they are a changing. BYU student Matt Easton came out in his Valedictorian speech at the recent BYU graduation exercises. Gives a new perspective on the “Rising Generation.”🤔😀
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

RubinHighlander

Re: BYU valedictorian comes out.

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:58 pm

Damn! That took some courage. I just hope he finds his way out of the matrix now and finds true happiness and love.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:46 pm

Tremendous respect and support is due to this young person for his valor and bravery in coming out. Not only does he provide support and encouragement for BYU's LGBT community, he provides support for LGBT people everywhere under the shackles of oppressive religious organizations.
I only hope the BYU does not withhold his final transcripts pending some kind of trumped-up "ecclesiastical investigation", as they tend to do when they wish to investigate personal behavior. --- Wndr.
Last edited by Wonderment on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:28 pm

I just saw this today by chance! Well, it was because I have to come up with a valedictorian speech by Saturday and was looking on YouTube for examples.
Shocking and brave! I agree, I hope they do not punish him... although I think they will find ways to.

Good for him! Even if he has a rough road ahead.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed May 01, 2019 5:22 am

His talk was approved ahead of time by BYU:

https://thehill.com/homenews/441129-byu ... out-as-gay

Now, friends, what does that mean? The cheers and applause heard in the audience tells part of the story, as does the revelation rolling back the Nov. 2015 revelation - the Brethren realize they have lost the war against gays, and are doing a soft roll-out on a retcon. While many in the rising generation believe everything they are told, an increasing number don't give two craps what old men in Salt Lake City say about their gay and lesbian friends - and there enough of them that the Brethren are changing their approach. In a couple of decades you will hear one of the Brethren say "I am grateful that the Church has always stood against anti-LGBTism in all of its malignant manifestations".

The Brethren know the score - they've lost this one, and it is time to find a graceful way to make a retreat. It was brave of this young man to come out the way he did, and I don't want in any way to diminish that, but in a sense it is part of a long-term strategy to soften the rhetoric on LGBT issues and try not to lose as many of the rising generation. Presidents Oaks probably hasn't changed his mind about gays, but I think long term even he realizes the Church can't win on this one.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed May 01, 2019 7:31 am

Lithium Sunset wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:28 pm
I just saw this today by chance! Well, it was because I have to come up with a valedictorian speech by Saturday and was looking on YouTube for examples.
Congrats!!

I first saw this on a TBM FB page I think it was CTR something. I gave it a heart and wrote a positive comment, thinking I would be one of the few people to do so. I was very pleasantly surprised. I would say about half the TBMs posting were supportive. The other half of the comments were unsure to negative. But the negative comments were very few. The most heartening part were the TBMs who called out the negative comments.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sat May 04, 2019 11:30 am

MoPag wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:31 am
[quote="Lithium Sunset" post_id=58541 time=<a href="tel:1556674099">1556674099</a> user_id=156]

Congrats!!

I first saw this on a TBM FB page I think it was CTR something. I gave it a heart and wrote a positive comment, thinking I would be one of the few people to do so. I was very pleasantly surprised. I would say about half the TBMs posting were supportive. The other half of the comments were unsure to negative. But the negative comments were very few. The most heartening part were the TBMs who called out the negative comments.
Thank you! I interviewed for it today. We will see if I am selected. I’m okay if not, I know it gave it my best. It would be pretty cool though. I will not have anything to say as awesome as this guy haha.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder