And sometimes it comes back, in weird ways

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Meilingkie

And sometimes it comes back, in weird ways

Post by Meilingkie » Mon May 06, 2019 10:00 am

Wow, just wow. People

Seems I’m damaged in some way I didn’t realize yet.
Went to a gym for the first time.
They wanted to do an intake, a friendly gyminstructor started talking about personal training.
12 hours, for Eur 720
Or 24 for 1350 a real bargain she called it.

It would really be good for you....
You should do it.....
Invest in yourself, your future.....
I don’t want to push you but....
It’s a lot of money, however remember your body is your temple....
The last one really ticked me off btw.

You should do this, you ought to do that. I’ve had 20 years of such nonsense miss gyminstructor 😡

Fuming now, I really am.
Yes, there are some unresolved things I still to adress.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

crossmyheart

Re: And sometimes it comes back, in weird ways

Post by crossmyheart » Mon May 06, 2019 10:26 am

Her sales pitch is no different than the church. Just trying to sell you an unattainable ideal to hook you in exchange for 10% of your income.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Mon May 06, 2019 11:52 am

Gyms are getting really expensive ! I don't like it when they use those high pressure sales tactics, including inducing guilt and shame by saying, "Your body is your temple", etc. No one needs any more guilt and shame in this life. The church has provided enough guilt and shame to last an eternity.-- Wndr.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon May 06, 2019 12:12 pm

After a bunch of years plugged in TSCC matrix and escaping it, interesting how hypersensitive we become to any organization that has that standard religious way of trying to control people via guilt and fear and pressure. Governments, political parties, health fads, media outlets...there's way more tribalism at work in our daily lives than most people like to admit.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

alas

Post by alas » Mon May 06, 2019 3:54 pm

Yuck, fear and shame as sales tools. When I was a teenager, we had a fundraising for a group I was in selling tickets to a concert. Well, the person trying to teach us how to sell tried to teach us to used shame and fear. Make the poor sucker feel they will miss out on a absolutely essential..... I just could not see how to make people feel a ashamed of themselves of afraid to miss the concert. Don’t you go to concerts to enjoy good music? Just how do fear and shame figure into the motivation to buy tickets to a concert. I didn’t sell any tickets. Guess I am not so good at making people feel afraid that if they miss a concert they will die or become a laughing stock. That experience still stands out in my mind as a lesson in stupidity. The person teaching us to sell sure didn’t sell us her method.

I have noticed myself that I react very negatively to this type of thing. I have walked away from things I would have bought, if the sales person had used “why you want this” instead of fear and shame. My husband has even argued, but that was a good deal. Sorry, but I am finding a different sales man to sell me the same stuff even if it is a higher price.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:12 pm
After a bunch of years plugged in TSCC matrix and escaping it, interesting how hypersensitive we become to any organization that has that standard religious way of trying to control people via guilt and fear and pressure. Governments, political parties, health fads, media outlets...there's way more tribalism at work in our daily lives than most people like to admit.
This!

See the patterns. Ignore the annoyances.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Random

Post by Random » Mon May 13, 2019 6:29 pm

alas wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:54 pm
I have walked away from things I would have bought, if the sales person had used “why you want this” instead of fear and shame. My husband has even argued, but that was a good deal. Sorry, but I am finding a different sales man to sell me the same stuff even if it is a higher price.
Whenever I'm somewhere (even online) and there's a hurry! Only xx hours (or one day) to buy this! - I always opt out. If I have to hurry and buy it right now to get this awesome price, then it isn't worth having.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK