Humor to Soften Truth

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Newme

Re: Humor to Soften Truth

Post by Newme » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:45 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:39 pm
I remembered how I LOL'd at this scene when I was TBM.

Some people just can't talk about religion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TSXmj5FObY
:lol: More-man=Morman
Is that why the church’s focus away from the name, More-man?

Newme

Post by Newme » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 pm

FreeFallin wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:31 pm
SavedfromJesus.jpgPolygamist.jpgwwjd.jpg
:lol:
Truth is often funny if it’s simply plain naked.

Newme

Post by Newme » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Some intense discussions and debates about details of “the gospel”/church/Mormonism, reminds me of people getting a little too into a role-playing board game or something. Or like when my son was too young to know if his video game controller was actually hooked up & would get into it even though it wasn’t hooked up. He’d yell when he lost and scream triumphantly when he “won” when really it was his older cousin playing the entire time. But most everyone went along with the deception. The difference is he grew up and could no longer be fooled.

Random

Post by Random » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Newme wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:15 pm
What kind of cards?
My memory says they were devil cards, but I searched and searched online and all it brings up is the devil card from the tarot cards.

I stayed with a friend for a while and she had a couple dozen kinds of oracle/tarot cards, and this one was so accurate, it was scary. I was afraid to use them because they pulled no punches if something not-fun was coming my way. Since I don't own them, I can't go look at them, and it has been about 6 years since I last used them.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Newme

Post by Newme » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:45 am

Random wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:46 pm
Newme wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:15 pm
What kind of cards?
My memory says they were devil cards, but I searched and searched online and all it brings up is the devil card from the tarot cards.

I stayed with a friend for a while and she had a couple dozen kinds of oracle/tarot cards, and this one was so accurate, it was scary. I was afraid to use them because they pulled no punches if something not-fun was coming my way. Since I don't own them, I can't go look at them, and it has been about 6 years since I last used them.
Thanks for the reply.
I’ve only dealt with rune cards, which I just made. My impression is that they don’t tell the future but rather help in considering other perspectives which can help in feeling and doing better.

My mom and other TBMs were taught they’re all evil, because fortune telling infringes on free agency etc., but I’ve heard of many TBMs engaging in bibliomancy - praying and then opening the scriptures to get their answer.

Random

Post by Random » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:20 pm

These cards only read what was immediately coming. In other words, it had to already be in the works. If you read them three days later, they'd say something else.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:24 pm

Newme wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:45 am
My mom and other TBMs were taught they’re all evil.
I was taught they were evil by the Church. The idea was that they were the devil's tool, and you'd be under his power if you used them. Scared the crap out of me.

When I finally got brave enough to use them, I gained two opinions about them.
1- The results were usually generic enough that you could find something that applied to you, and if you used your intuition, you might glean good advice.
2- There might be something to the idea that we have a higher power/higher self that guides us to choose the cards that will fit what we are wanting to know about.

PK

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:39 pm

Newme

Post by Newme » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Ghost wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:39 pm
[img...
:lol:
That’s the insanity of taking symbolic parables literally - humorous but sad when people suffer from it.

Newme

Post by Newme » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:40 pm

Random wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:24 pm
Newme wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:45 am
My mom and other TBMs were taught they’re all evil.
I was taught they were evil by the Church. The idea was that they were the devil's tool, and you'd be under his power if you used them. Scared the crap out of me.

When I finally got brave enough to use them, I gained two opinions about them.
1- The results were usually generic enough that you could find something that applied to you, and if you used your intuition, you might glean good advice.
2- There might be something to the idea that we have a higher power/higher self that guides us to choose the cards that will fit what we are wanting to know about.
I see it similarly though I haven’t looked into things much besides runes. Incidentally when I began looking into them, I met a girl with that name. Carl Jung said, “Syncronicity is an ever present reality for those who have eyes to see.”

Random

Post by Random » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:35 pm

You're really making me interested in checking out runes.

Carl Jung was a very interesting man. I learned about him in psychology classes, but they neglected to mention his mystical side. And I think his mystical side has a lot to offer.

PK

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:56 am

Random wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:35 pm
You're really making me interested in checking out runes.

Carl Jung was a very interesting man. I learned about him in psychology classes, but they neglected to mention his mystical side. And I think his mystical side has a lot to offer.
He really does! He is where we get the idea of introvert and extrovert and the Myer and Briggs 16 personalities. He contributed to carving a rough beginning of a path through archetypes and collective and personal un/subconscious.

Random

Post by Random » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:54 pm

I want that quote on my wall!
People will do anything,
no matter how absurd,
to avoid facing
their own souls.

-C.G. Jung

PK

iwanttotalk

Post by iwanttotalk » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:02 pm

I can see this being a problem.

What about subtle satire? Farce? Dark humor? Trolling?

All of these kinds of humor pretend seriousness and therefore are often undetectable to the devout.

Does that mean their going to kill me?!?!

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:52 pm

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:37 am

Incinerated.jpg
Incinerated.jpg (108.52 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...