Asked to pray in church

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
hiding in plain sight

Asked to pray in church

Post by hiding in plain sight » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:21 am

Even though I am fully out mentally, I still attend and hold a calling. Just recently released as HPGL after 4 years and now teaching the little ones in primary with my wife. I am actually enjoying it. The kids are great. Love being with my wife. And the biggest bonus, not hearing the occasional bigotry in HPG.

But a couple of sundays ago I was asked to say the closing prayer in SM after talks about how everyone needs to honor the sabbath, which means attending ALL 3 hours of church.

Since they were giving me the pulpit, I used my prayer time to help send a little message.

I prayed for everyone to feel the spirit at church. To also feel the spirit in their homes. And to also feel the spirit as the adventured out into the world. I thanked God that his spirit was not confined to the four walls of the chapel.

I then asked for everyone to be blessed with courage and compassion. Courage to accept new truths when they found them. And compassion to accept and love those around us who believe differently than us.

I don't think anyone heard a word of the prayer. But it made me feel good to balance the message of SM.

All the best.

The Beast

Re: Asked to pray in church

Post by The Beast » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:25 am

Good prayer. Maybe it tweaked a person or two. Seems like the kind of thing I would do if I still attended.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:48 am

Awesome.

I have avoided praying in public for a few years now, but I'm bookmarking this post, and trying to commit it to memory.

When I'm "given" the opportunity to talk at the guy-in-the-toga-near-kolob again, I'd like to attempt the same thing, but not even mention the Spirit™, but only emotions and feelings.

Oh, and I gotta remember to bless the Doh-Nuts to "Nourish and Strengthen™".
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:55 pm

That's an opportunity well used, HIPS. After my disaffection I really started dreading public prayer. Finally I declined to accept the offer and I have never been asked since. It almost makes me feel like my bishop really is inspired.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:06 pm

It was a great prayer, and as you said, most people probably didn't hear it since everyone tunes it out. I find most people can't even tell you who prayed, let alone what was said.

I've always hated praying in church so a couple months ago when I was asked to pray in Sacrament Meeting, I politely declined. It felt weird at first, but I realized that the Exec. Sec. needing a prayer wasn't my problem. It wasn't my job to fix it or make him feel better. It feels good to set boundaries.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Well done HIPS! I've save this to my NOM file. Praying after the shelf fell was a hard one. TBM DH was always asking me to say the blessing on the food at family gathering well knowing I had issues with it. This is a perfect NOMish prayer. Beautiful!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:09 pm

The Beast wrote:Good prayer. Maybe it tweaked a person or two. Seems like the kind of thing I would do if I still attended.

Hey Beast. Are you fully done now with church? I haven't checked in with you for a long time.

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:39 am

hiding in plain sight wrote:
The Beast wrote:Good prayer. Maybe it tweaked a person or two. Seems like the kind of thing I would do if I still attended.

Hey Beast. Are you fully done now with church? I haven't checked in with you for a long time.
Pretty much. Maybe I'll post the details. Glad to read that you are doing well.

So I posted the details in Introductions.
Last edited by The Beast on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:13 am

Good prayer, anything besides "bless those not here today to come next week" is a welcomed improvement.

THanks for reminding people the spirit can be found elsewhere than building with "TCOJSOLDS" on it.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Ho Lee Turtle

Post by Ho Lee Turtle » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:23 pm

I once heard the apocryphal story that Senator/Apostle Reed Smoot was asked to offer the opening prayer at a session of congress to which he retorted, "I'd rather the Lord not know I was here."

Sometimes, you know when they ask for a volunteer to say the prayer in Sunday School and you look down at the floor and the instructor calls on you anyway, I just want to lift my head up and say, "I'd rather the Lord not know I was here"...

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:46 am

I love your prayer! It's perfect, in every way - it also conveys what God would want people to do. We are all responsible for filtering information to sift out the truth and to identify and avoid fraudulent teachings, people and situations.

Another great way to sneak in a testimony to the truth is through the F&T meetings. I deliberately scheduled my last sacrament meeting to be on the first Sunday and I testified that I have faith in God, Christ and in the Truth - I said I have always been a "Red Pill" person and that I always seek the truth (that evidently went right over the bishop's head - he loved the testimony). I also mentioned that it can be very painful to learn the truth, but ultimately it will never fail us and it will make us stronger.

That was my last sacrament meeting, and I left after that hour. Since then, I have only been in the building maybe 3-4 times. Once was for a funeral and the other 2-3 times were to help a friend who needed some support in the calling she had back then.

I almost wish I'd hung around longer to give a few more secretly meaningful testimonies. Nah...what am I thinking...
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:09 am

When I am asked to pray or even comment, I use the platform to open minds. Talking about being grateful for a church that teaches us about our how we have a mother in heaven, how we should love and accept all without judgment, how service in the community is valued as well as service at church, etc...

I am not too in your face about it, but those nuanced and non-believers in the ward appreciate it. If there is a God, I think He/She/They do too.