McDonalds, an observation

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Meilingkie

McDonalds, an observation

Post by Meilingkie » Thu May 09, 2019 8:52 am

Here’s a proud papa now.

Not so lil’girl did some research.
The Salt Lake Valley had about 5x as many fastfood-joints than the Rotterdam Metro area. Mind you, the population in rotterdam is 20% more.

So she posits the the question.
When your body is a temple, why do the mormons in UT despoil it using fastfood? 6x as many fastfood-joints per capita compared to here?
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

A New Name

Re: McDonalds, an observation

Post by A New Name » Thu May 09, 2019 9:26 am

How does SLC compair to other US cities? That is the telling statistic. Are mormons just the same/better/worse as other Americans?

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Thu May 09, 2019 9:37 am

True, might also be a thing. US vs EU.
Still, the difference is staggering.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 am

Perhaps you should have your daughter research the number of fancy soft drink stores in the Utah area. Places like "Swig" and "Soadalicious" are selling caronated sugar water with excessive flavorings. This is basically a way to fastrack diabetes. But it's legal under the Word of Wisdom, unlike coffee. Does your country have places like this?

BriansThoughtMirror

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Thu May 09, 2019 10:21 am

Salt Lake may be the least Mormony part of Utah, though. But, yeah, Swig and other similar ones seem to be popping up all over in the more Mormony parts!
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu May 09, 2019 10:52 am

I’me going to rant here for a second or two. Not at you Melinkie but generally speaking. I just can’t stand this type of thinking that is too common in ex-mormonism.

Bad diets, sedimentary lifestyles, obesity, and lack of personal hygiene are universal.

Ex-Mormons love to point out the gaping hypocrisy and discrepancy between the Word of Wisdom and the body weight realities of Mormons.

In my opinion Its stupid. It’s low hanging fruit. It’s lazy and critical word vomit with very little nutritional value. Like McDonalds. :lol:

“See how fat Mormons are? This proves the word of wisdom is worthless.... ha ha ha. They’re so fat and eat donuts and soda.... ha ha ha ha ha. That word of wisdom is a joke.... ha ha ha. /sarcasm

Let’s criticize Joseph Smith and the contents and intent of the Word of Wisdom, not members who eat McDonalds and don’t give a shit about their health and body weight.

Fat Mormons are not great evidence the church was made up by Joseph Smith.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu May 09, 2019 11:38 am

Corsair wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 am
Perhaps you should have your daughter research the number of fancy soft drink stores in the Utah area. Places like "Swig" and "Soadalicious" are selling caronated sugar water with excessive flavorings. This is basically a way to fastrack diabetes. But it's legal under the Word of Wisdom, unlike coffee. Does your country have places like this?
The "fancy soft-drink store" subject has been brought up elsewhere in the DAMU. Utah is not the only state in the US that has such stores, so again, any research needs to focus on a wider area.

(Edit: Though I do have to chuckle a bit when I drive by the location below. Yes, that is a fancy soft-drink store, next to a candy store...)
SUGAR.jpg
SUGAR.jpg (196.89 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Thu May 09, 2019 12:43 pm

All true, my DD only pointed out the obvious.
If the latter-day saints took the WoW seriously, and ate healthy as a group, the amount of fastfood-joints would be way lower.
Then again, she also checked out NYC.
Same result, with massive amounts of mcDonaldses.

It’s not Mormonism that causes obesity-problems, far from it. But that mormonism promotes a lifestyle and that the mahority can’t seem to live up to it.

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Thu May 09, 2019 1:59 pm

If God really wanted people to live longer back in JS's time, he would have just told them to boil their water!

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:02 pm

A New Name wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:59 pm
If God really wanted people to live longer back in JS's time, he would have just told them to boil their water!
THANK YOU! :lol:

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri May 10, 2019 7:33 am

I'm not so sure the fast food epidemic is a mormon thing, but it definitely is an American thing.
This is cultural and worse in some parts of the country. i believe it is part of our "i need it now and too busy" culture.
~2bizE