Trip to SLC this summer

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
crossmyheart

Trip to SLC this summer

Post by crossmyheart » Thu May 09, 2019 1:35 pm

Going to a family reunion this summer in SLC. I haven't been back in 8 years.

I started to tell my never-mo friend about the trip and she asked what we plan to do on all of the other days before/after the reunion. It put me in panic mode. 8 years ago I was still mostly all-in. We went to the JS memorial building and watched some movie about JS and Emma's amazing marriage--I happily walked out with a crying baby because I already knew that was a lie.
We went to the church museum, visitor's center, conference center tour, and of course did the traditional pics with giant Jesus. And spent a full day going from Deseret Book Store to Seagull and Quilted Bear. Stocked up on G's, and home decor, manuals and everything else expected of us to have.

It hit me that the above activities will all be expected and planned out by my TBM family. The agenda didn't even occur to me when we reluctantly agreed to go to SLC instead of, I don't know, somewhere fun like Disney World with our 2 kids this summer.

I don't think I can do it.

jfro18

Re: Trip to SLC this summer

Post by jfro18 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:47 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:35 pm
Going to a family reunion this summer in SLC. I haven't been back in 8 years.

It hit me that the above activities will all be expected and planned out by my TBM family. The agenda didn't even occur to me when we reluctantly agreed to go to SLC instead of, I don't know, somewhere fun like Disney World with our 2 kids this summer.

I don't think I can do it.
Man that is brutal - I am not sure how you can wiggle out of that without being super obvious. Maybe you can tell them it's a shorter trip than it is and try to make some days for just the family on the way in or out?

Our big vacation this year will be visiting my in-laws who are serving a senior mission in Europe... again. Really thrilled to spend all of our vacation $ to visit them on their voluntary mission for the second time in 3 years. Just another way that you can leave the church but you can never fully get away from it.

Sympathies -- I hope you can find some ways to make it about your family instead of doing all of the church stuff again.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu May 09, 2019 3:07 pm

If you can do it, try to schedule a NOM lunch. It helped me tremendously to have at least one thing to really look forward to.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu May 09, 2019 3:30 pm

Is it too late to suggest you want to visit some of the outdoor awesome places in Utah like the 1000's of lakes in the Uintas or Goblin Valley or the Spiral Jetty or the Salt Flats or Arches or Zion or Bryce or Capitol Reef or any other of a hundred other things NOT related to TSCC?!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

BriansThoughtMirror

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Thu May 09, 2019 6:52 pm

I second the outdoors activities! There are a ton of awesome places to go, at varying distances from Salt Lake. All the national parks are fantastic (my favorites are Zion and Arches so far). You can get to great, beautiful hiking in the mountains just to the East of Salt Lake. There are trails up every canyon.
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri May 10, 2019 4:49 am

This is your family trip. Maybe come up with some alternate plans. If the extended family is going to tour Temple Square, then maybe your family can go spend the day in Park City or even just hiking in the canyons around SLC. It's your time and your money. Put your foot down and do what YOU and your family wants to do.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Fri May 10, 2019 6:13 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:30 pm
Is it too late to suggest you want to visit some of the outdoor awesome places in Utah like the 1000's of lakes in the Uintas or Goblin Valley or the Spiral Jetty or the Salt Flats or Arches or Zion or Bryce or Capitol Reef or any other of a hundred other things NOT related to TSCC?!
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to make alternate plans. But I have been blessed with the most high honor of being born unto goodly parents and my overbearing, ever-suffering, always-dying-of-something, narcissistic martyr of a mother will be sure to lay on the guilt so thick I wont be able to breathe without her when we are there.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri May 10, 2019 7:55 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:13 am
RubinHighlander wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to make alternate plans. But I have been blessed with the most high honor of being born unto goodly parents and my overbearing, ever-suffering, always-dying-of-something, narcissistic martyr of a mother will be sure to lay on the guilt so thick I wont be able to breathe without her when we are there.
Okay then...you can at least take the sting off the events by microdosing some Colorado jazz cabbage or Xanex :)
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri May 10, 2019 12:34 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:13 am
RubinHighlander wrote:
Any possibility of a last minute, critical work engagement that absolutely requires you so you can't go and will be forced to reschedule your trip?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams