Understanding TBMs

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Understanding TBMs

Post by moksha » Sat May 11, 2019 1:48 pm

TBMs see themselves as the swimmer
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Wonderment

Re: Understanding TBMs

Post by Wonderment » Sat May 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Oops, I did it again. Sorry.
Last edited by Wonderment on Sat May 11, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Sat May 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Agreed. Martyrdom is the very heart, soul, and core of Mormonism, IMO. Nothing sums it up better than the hymn "Praise to the Man". -- Wndr.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat May 11, 2019 11:31 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:48 pm
TBMs see themselves as the swimmer
OK, but clearly they would be wearing a much more modest outfit than that shameless trollop on the poster for Mr. Spielberg's movie.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun May 12, 2019 4:20 am

Curry dishes are found around the world: Mexican curries, Japanese curry, American curry, British Curry (the Brits claim Chicken Tika Masala as one of their national dishes), Russian curry, Morrocan curry, South American curries, and the most unique of all: Mormon Curry.

Mormon Curry
Courtesy of the Relief Society Archives
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Give-me-strength

Post by Give-me-strength » Sun May 12, 2019 8:46 am

My father in law spoke at my daughter’s baptism. He did a great job, but There was so much fear mongering. “Satan will
Try to tempt you and lead you astray” was really the theme of the talk on the holy ghost

Curelom

Post by Curelom » Sun May 12, 2019 3:42 pm

I see that picture and think of every lesson I've had about the "armor of God," word of wisdom, law of chastity. All these lessons where if you mess up once you're in "satan's power." Also the temple video and satan's warning, if you mess up "you're in may power." So if I participate in "loud laughter" am I already in Satan's power? It's all this fear-mongering which leads to a culture of shame which a lot of members struggle with. I just listened to an interesting podcast on NPRs Hidden Brain "Creating God" about religion/God and how one of the possible evolutionary purposes to have a fearmongering God/religion is to instill a greater cohesion in larger societies than our smaller hunter-gatherer societies of the past. It was interesting and somewhat related to this topic so I thought I'd share it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/16/628792048/creating-god

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon May 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Curelom wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:42 pm
NPRs Hidden Brain "Creating God" about religion/God and how one of the possible evolutionary purposes to have a fearmongering God/religion is to instill a greater cohesion in larger societies than our smaller hunter-gatherer societies of the past. It was interesting and somewhat related to this topic so I thought I'd share it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/16/628792048/creating-god
Excellent!

Also, the one following that one: "Fact Aren't Enough: The Psychology of False Beliefs"

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/09/72177351 ... se-beliefs
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE