Got Corbridged!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Got Corbridged!

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat May 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Attended a wedding for a brother in law recently and of course did not attend the sealing. Seemed to not get noticed too much until obscure uncle messaged me with the Elder Corbridge talk. I told him that I was pretty well established with my conclusions at this point in time, and politely thanked him for reaching out.

He also mentioned he won't be discussing the issue further. I liken this to pulling a pin on a grenade, rolling it into the room and running away. You get to feel like you did your duty defending the faith while keeping any mud off your boots.

Drive by talk drops get annoying after awhile. Come up with your own defenses for once.

jfro18

Re: Got Corbridged!

Post by jfro18 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:28 pm

I can't believe anyone found that talk convincing, especially enough to think it would change someone's mind who no longer believes.

But yeah - if someone wants to drop that in there, least they could do would be willing to back it up... but then again when it's family you probably don't want that.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat May 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Yeah with family, especially more obscure relatives I find it ineffective to attempt any engagement. Disengagement through brief generic response seems to work without causing too much collateral damage.

It's not worth using up any brain function effort to defend my lifestyle choices with any of them anymore. Maybe that's progress. If it had been 2 years ago I may have felt enough indignation to do a full talk rebuttal point by point.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat May 11, 2019 11:21 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:14 pm
He also mentioned he won't be discussing the issue further. I liken this to pulling a pin on a grenade, rolling it into the room and running away. You get to feel like you did your duty defending the faith while keeping any mud off your boots.
This is a maddeningly common reaction. The believer somehow believes that their drive-by testimony will fix the issues without actually engaging with the hard questions. The Corbridge talk is the same process along with the recent Renlund talk and a dozen others in the past 10 years. Elder Corbridge trots out his ideas but does not actually engage with anyone. There is no public Q&A from an audience. No debate or discussion takes place. I have been holding my own questions for a dozen years and I have simply come to my own conclusions since I can't get any answers from them.

It feels like this extends all the way up to the First Presidency. I can at least respect that FairMormon tries to provide answers even if our conclusions are radically different.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun May 12, 2019 3:38 am

Since this is an obscure relative that you don't have regular contact with, the simplest thing may be to simply block him on whatever service he messaged you.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun May 12, 2019 11:29 am

I tell you what, I will read Corbridges talk If you read this letter written to the CES Director
Last edited by 2bizE on Sun May 12, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~2bizE

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun May 12, 2019 1:53 pm

Tearing families apart in the name of a "loving God" is one of the most disgusting practices there is.
Last edited by Angel on Sun May 12, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun May 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Sat May 11, 2019 8:14 pm
Attended a wedding for a brother in law recently and of course did not attend the sealing. Seemed to not get noticed too much until obscure uncle messaged me with the Elder Corbridge talk. I told him that I was pretty well established with my conclusions at this point in time, and politely thanked him for reaching out.

Drive by talk drops get annoying after awhile. Come up with your own defenses for once.
I would have replied that I cannot support covertly polygamous covenants, but do wish the couple well, and pray for love, loyalty, and joyful family reunions for all people beyond the veil ;)
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun May 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Join the club - of drive by talk shooting. :)
Why do they do this? I’m projecting that they’re projecting and don’t know what they don’t know so they think what might help them might help others who have already seen more than they have. The best way to handle it is how you did - politely but assertively.

The Corbridge talk, “Stand Forever” was discussed as basically cognitive bias...
https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... er-part-1/

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 am

I always wonder what good they think will come of randomly sending things like this.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon May 13, 2019 9:40 am

Respond that your uncle must listen to Bill & RFM's two part dissection of that talk. It is non-optional and there will be no further discussion of the topic. It is required for his eternal salvation.:mrgreen:
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon May 13, 2019 10:01 am

Just This Guy wrote:Respond that your uncle must listen to Bill & RFM's two part dissection of that talk. It is non-optional and there will be no further discussion of the topic. It is required for his eternal salvation.:mrgreen:
Haha I love it! Unfortunately he wouldn't dare wade into the swamp as Mr. Corbridge defines it.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 am

Mon May 13, 2019 10:01 am
Just This Guy wrote:Respond that your uncle must listen to Bill & RFM's two part dissection of that talk. It is non-optional and there will be no further discussion of the topic. It is required for his eternal salvation.:mrgreen:
Haha I love it! Unfortunately he wouldn't dare wade into the swamp as Mr. Corbridge defines it.
Yup. The response is just the dream reply. I'll just go with my first point that it is better to just block the a**hole and move on with your life.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 am

glass shelf wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 am
I always wonder what good they think will come of randomly sending things like this.
It's no different than a priesthood blessing with a small hope it will do some good but only a small hope since 99% of those that give the blessing know deep down inside there won't be any miraculous outcome. But ya know, at least you tried and everything else is God's will. But it's the TBM obligation to throw out a talk or link to an article, just to get their stamps on the SVIP Heaven points card. Then when there's no result it's casting pearls to swine or God's will or agency or whatever, but they get credit with little effort.
Last edited by RubinHighlander on Tue May 14, 2019 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Random

Post by Random » Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 pm

I think they do it because the general authorities are experts with a direct line to God, more persuasive than the common peon could be. If a powerful GA cannot convince you, who can?

Or, it could be that when they heard/read it, they thought, "So and so needs to read this! This will get them back into the Church!"

I remember the mindset. I was definitely a TBM to the max. Now, though, I could never go back.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK