Mother’s Day

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Mother’s Day

Post by 2bizE » Sun May 12, 2019 11:31 am

A big shout out to all the wonderful mothers on this group. Thank you for the many things you do as a mother. Mothers make the world brighter.
~2bizE

achilles

Re: Mother’s Day

Post by achilles » Sun May 12, 2019 12:24 pm

I miss my mom.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun May 12, 2019 1:44 pm

I made it through the mother's day sacrament and services - did not sing "families can be together forever...if you go to the temple.. song... I no longer believe in an exclusionary God that splits families apart. In RS I was able to comment on the diverse influential women in my life, from traditional to non-traditional, that there is no "perfect" way to be a mom - that I appreciate openly honestly imperfect women so much more than pretended perfect. I did not feel anxious today like last year, I am learning to really take ownership of myself, to not allow the opinions of others to get under my skin.

Happy mothers day to all!!
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun May 12, 2019 2:47 pm

achilles wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:24 pm
I miss my mom.
((Hugs!!!))

Mother's Day can be complicated and painful for a lot of people. I didn't go to church. I did go the cemetery so I could be near my son. Lots of emotions today for sure.
Angel wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:44 pm
In RS I was able to comment on the diverse influential women in my life, from traditional to non-traditional, that there is no "perfect" way to be a mom - that I appreciate openly honestly imperfect women so much more than pretended perfect. I did not feel anxious today like last year, I am learning to really take ownership of myself, to not allow the opinions of others to get under my skin.

Happy mothers day to all!!
Good job^^

And happy Mother's Day to all our NOMie mommies!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Angel wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:44 pm
that there is no "perfect" way to be a mom - that I appreciate openly honestly imperfect women so much more than pretended perfect.
Love this. I am so much more able to feel compassion for, relate to and create relationships with women that are real.

Happy Mother’s day ladies!

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun May 12, 2019 7:35 pm

I heard a lot of talks that would have pleased the cookie-cutter Mormon moms today, which was nice.

But I also spoke to four women today who really suffer during Mother's Day - a woman who was married twice yet never able to have children; a woman who raised her children and because of family dysfunction is forced to be a Mom again to her grandchildren; a woman with an physically/emotionally abusive mother and a never married single woman. All of them find Mother's Day incredibly difficult, and I was glad I was able to offer support for them, as well as helping them see how toxic Mormon culture on this day can be. (The day wasn't so hard for me, even with a narcissistic mother - I have a great spouse, and wonderful daughters that make up for it.)

I also know the women of this board also have struggled with abusive partners, have lost children, and any number of struggles, as well as feeling left out of the cookie-cutter Mormon mom image. To all of you, who suffer on this day, I'm sure most of your NOM family is thinking of you today. I know I am.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you!
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:54 pm

Happy Mother's Day to the moms!

I know Mother's Day is a tough one for DW as we had trouble having a child and never actually found out why... it took over 3 years of trying and we got lucky to have one and then no luck since. So I know she felt like a failure during that time thanks to the culture of the church, although I never realized how much the church made her feel that way until I started reading up over the last year about the way it's approached in church.

So I can relate with those who have a rough time today - DW usually doesn't go to church on Mother's Day but went today I assume because of my causing her to retrench with my 'truth crisis' over Mormon claims.

But I hope everyone at least got a relaxing day today and good behavior from their kids. It's all my mom ever wanted growing up. :lol:

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon May 13, 2019 11:47 am

DW and I were so very grateful we didn't have to go to the mom sacrament meeting where the speakers drone on and on about how awesome it was growing up to have their perfect mom read scriptures to them everyday. Basically designed to make most of the audience, especially the mom's, feel like crap about their own family dysfunctions growing up or now trying to raise kids the TBM way. Instead we slept in, I grabbed us some coffee and french bread then we cooked up a french toast breakfast. We then relaxed in the hot tub with some adult beverages and enjoyed a perfect Spring day. Kids came over later and brought all the food, had lots of beers and laughs then they all went home. We did break out the scrap books and had some laughs over some great past family moments.

Finished up the day with the latest Game of Thrones and drifted off to sleep.

To be able to return to work Monday morning, relaxed and happy and guilt free is a beautiful thing! It's amazing to look back at all the guilt and fear we lived under all those years. If that was the definition of "true happiness" I glad I'm now living the temporary false happiness!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE