Very Happy Day For Me; coming full circle.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
trophywife26.2

Very Happy Day For Me; coming full circle.

Post by trophywife26.2 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:59 pm

5 years ago when I first learned that the church wasn't quite what I thought it was and I tried to walk this middle path, something I did was teach Sunday school to young teens. I was a non-believer and I felt there was a chance two of the boys in my class were gay. This was Utah County. I often posted on the old site about it and how to handle lessons. I went to to church for a year as a non-believer and those boys were a big motivator for me to keep going and I tried to shield them from someone else who may have said hateful things and tried with all my heart and might to teach them that God truly loved unconditionally even though I didn't believe in God anymore.

Well today is the day one of those boys made it to pride in SLC.

I haven't talked to this young man since I stopped going to church 4 years ago and I only found out secondhand that he was there, but my heart is absolutely full to know he made it there. He's made it that far. Happy Pride.
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

vankimber

Re: Very Happy Day For Me; coming full circle.

Post by vankimber » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:48 pm

I love this! Thank you for being so insightful when it was needed. How ironic that the nonbeliever was the one to show the love that far too many believers claim but don’t practise. My daughter came out in her late teens, and I would have been so grateful to know that she had ever had that kind of support from a teacher, or anyone, in the church. This is what I call a real “faith promoting story!”

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:02 pm

From external oppression to external acceptance sounds like a delightful circle of travel.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:16 am

Good job tophywife 26.2!!!!!! You are someone special. Your compassion and understanding speaks volumes about the person you are. I still attend for my spouse but if I were faced with a similar situation I pray I would be as understanding as you. God Bless you.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:36 am

Awesomeness! I'm the proud dad of a couple of gay kids and it's such a relief to see them out in the world being happy and productive and not struggling with guilt and fear about who they are or all the conflicts that religion and God can bring into the lives of so many.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE