thinkers

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Abinidied

thinkers

Post by Abinidied » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:31 am

Quick question: I'm looking for the reference for which apostle said something like, "Let us do the thinking for you." I'm sitting down with my TBM brother to do battle because my 85 year old Mom has asked some BIG questions that I've tried to carefully answer so as not to disturb the dust that seems to have been covering her own doubts. She can blow the dust off if she likes and it's not my ambition to influence here. OK. That was a lie. There is nothing more I want to do than help her see herself just a bit more clearly so I just objectively set the facts on the table if she asks about them and always addendum my responses with, "I'm not trying to influence you in any way, but just want to answer your questions which certainly helps you understand me better." We've had some fantastic discussions - something that a few weeks ago I would have shaken my head in disbelief with a, "Nah. That aint ever going to happen." Funny how she has sought out sanctuary and found safety for her doubts in me; the evil apostate of the fam. I digress.
Cum omnia defecerunt, ludere mortuis. (When all else fails, play dead.)
--Red Green

dogbite

Re: thinkers

Post by dogbite » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:27 pm

BriansThoughtMirror

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:29 pm

My very least favorite Mormon quote of all time:

“There is no need for you or for me, in this enlightened age when the fullness of the gospel has been restored, to sail uncharted seas or to travel unmarked roads in search of truth. A loving Heavenly Father has plotted our course and provided an unfailing guide — even obedience."
-Thomas Monson, General Conference, Apr. 2013

Another:
“Always keep your eye on the President of the church, and if he ever tells you to do anything, even if it is wrong, and you do it, the Lord will bless you for it, but you don’t need to worry. The Lord will never let his mouthpiece lead the people astray.”
-Marion G. Romney, Conference Report, Oct. 1960, p. 78
(also used in a bunch of manuals)

And, maybe the one you are looking for:
"When our leaders speak, the thinking has been done. When they propose a plan–it is God’s plan. When they point the way, there is no other which is safe. When they give direction, it should mark the end of controversy. God works in no other way. To think otherwise, without immediate repentance, may cost one his faith, may destroy his testimony, and leave him a stranger to the kingdom of God."
-Presiding Bishopric, Ward teachers message, Improvement Era, June 1945
(this was also quoted and paraphrased in later Conference talks)
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:32 pm

There are those talks by Packard and others where they tell church scholars and leaders they need to be selective in what truths they teach because not all truths are good for the student's faith. There are examples of dishonest behavior or lying for the Lord, like the removal of the first version of the First Vision from the JS papers and taping it back in.

There's the recent example of the attempt to sneak changes into the policy manual on LGBT kids and parents, calling that revelation a few weeks later, then 3 years later removing it and calling that revelation.

There's the Faith Crisis Report, data gathered by TBMs, given to GAs, that lays out the main issues people of why faithful members are leaving and how the church should combat those issues; resulted in the Essays and Uchtdorf's talk on doubt your doubts.

Not sure how many "The church does not apologize." quotes from leaders like Oaks. Just a few, sorry I don't have references right now, gotta head into another meeting.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE