Missionary Parents

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Missionary Parents

Post by Linked » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:35 am

My niece was put in a tough situation on her mission recently, which was resolved yesterday to everyone's delight. After we got the news that things were getting worked out I noticed that my sister, her mother, was crying. I sat with her for a few minutes and listened to her talk about how wonderful it was to see God's hand in my niece's life and the great things she experienced over the last few weeks while in the tough situation.

It really bothered me that my sister was getting her spiritual kicks off of my niece's missionary pain. Putting your kids through hell and then using their hell to build up your faith in the institution that you are putting your kids through hell for is messed up.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Corsair

Re: Missionary Parents

Post by Corsair » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:22 am

Linked wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:35 am
It really bothered me that my sister was getting her spiritual kicks off of my niece's missionary pain. Putting your kids through hell and then using their hell to build up your faith in the institution that you are putting your kids through hell for is messed up.
This is probably not going to help, but it's analogous to appreciating a tough, but effective high school sports coach when your son or daughter comes home from practice completely exhausted. It's an appreciation of the character and skill you presume is being developed. Your sister is getting some confirmation that her children will remain faithful to her favorite church.

It's ironic at first glance that asking for sacrifice inspires greater committment. But it happens so reliably often that I largely expect that phenomena at this point.

Red Ryder

Re: Missionary Parents

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 am

Linked wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:35 am
Putting your kids through hell and then using their hell to build up your faith in the institution that you are putting your kids through hell for is messed up.
It’s Heavenly Father’s way of doing things.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg