My kids baptism experience

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
FiveFingerMnemonic

My kids baptism experience

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:01 pm

My boy got baptized this weekend and I allowed his grandpa to step in and perform both functions while I sat it out with the other conscientious objectors in my family. It was a nice service and I was concerned I would regret my choice with stress and anxiety but it turned out I was able to emotionally flatline like that final scene in the movie equilibrium and watched it all like a disinterested third party, marveling at the infantile nature of the tradition. I feel better just being me and keeping my integrity intact. My son was happy and Grandpa got to have that bonding moment.

deacon blues

Re: My kids baptism experience

Post by deacon blues » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:12 pm

Good for you. I'm curious, were you there for the bishop's interview? How did it go?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:26 pm

deacon blues wrote:Good for you. I'm curious, were you there for the bishop's interview? How did it go?
I was not. Mom handled it. From what I understand it went fine with no inappropriate questions.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:46 pm

“Emotionally flatline” - I like that. I’ve got a family wedding coming up that I don’t want to miss so I left my integrity in the dirt and renewed my TR. This was my first TR interview though where, as I answered the questions, I didn’t even feel bad or guilty for lying. I just viewed it as something I have to do for now. What was interesting for me was how invasive I view the questions now and how controlling it shows the church to be.

I have a few more of these weddings in my future, it did feel much easier to go through the motions pretty unemotionally. Glad you found a way to get through it easily and that your son had a good day!