Back from SLC

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
crossmyheart

Back from SLC

Post by crossmyheart » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:31 pm

Just returned from a family trip to Utah. Not enough time in the day to accomplish everything on our to-do list but had a great time.

Observations:
  • Surprised that we had very little contact from missionaries on Temple Square- there just didn't seem to be as many around the campus.
    Even more surprised to see one sister missionary wearing pants on Temple Square! :o
    Enjoyed Genealogy Library- they again seemed very hands-off. Not they missionary style I was trained to follow back in my day.
    Shocked to see a full color panel on the seer stone at the history museum. Then saddened to hear my niece eagerly explain to me that she learned in seminary that Joseph was given the seer stone to use for translation only to have it taken from him every time he wanted to use it for gain. She swallowed that convoluted story- hook, line, and sinker. I told her that she needed to research it a little more so that she will be prepared to answer questions about it on her mission. She said she loves reading the history of the church in The Saints book. :(
    Surprised to walk from Pioneer Village at Lagoon to the front of the park and find a beer garden-- You all are getting so progressive!
    Best part of the trip- found out that even more of my Utah relatives have joined the NOM/ex-mo ranks and now outnumber the TBM's!

moksha

Re: Back from SLC

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:11 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:31 pm
  • Shocked to see a full color panel on the seer stone at the history museum. Then saddened to hear my niece eagerly explain to me that she learned in seminary that Joseph was given the seer stone to use for translation only to have it taken from him every time he wanted to use it for gain. She swallowed that convoluted story- hook, line, and sinker.
The Case of the Disappearing Seer Stone - This seems like a new chapter in Creative Mormon Mythology. I imagine more these will be popping up in the wild from time to time. Hope forum members can report these new creative efforts as they find them.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:02 pm

What a fun trip!!!
crossmyheart wrote:

Best part of the trip- found out that even more of my Utah relatives have joined the NOM/ex-mo ranks and now outnumber the TBM's!
Awesome!!!^^^ Doing a happy dance for you!! This is kind of my dream to out number the TBMs, :D
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:39 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Shocked to see a full color panel on the seer stone at the history museum. Then saddened to hear my niece eagerly explain to me that she learned in seminary that Joseph was given the seer stone to use for translation only to have it taken from him every time he wanted to use it for gain.
But it clearly was not kept by God because we have full color pictures of it in the October 2015 Ensign. Does this explain why no prophet has used it since Joseph? Did the prophets keep trying to use the seer stone to discover buried treasure? Would the seer stone totally work but God wisely prevents anyone from making money in such an exploitive way like "finding a new gold mine" or "discovering lost treasure". It's much more legal and spiritual to make money off real estate rents and managing for-profit hunting preserves.

Emower

Post by Emower » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Corsair wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:39 am
crossmyheart wrote:
Shocked to see a full color panel on the seer stone at the history museum. Then saddened to hear my niece eagerly explain to me that she learned in seminary that Joseph was given the seer stone to use for translation only to have it taken from him every time he wanted to use it for gain.
But it clearly was not kept by God because we have full color pictures of it in the October 2015 Ensign. Does this explain why no prophet has used it since Joseph? Did the prophets keep trying to use the seer stone to discover buried treasure? Would the seer stone totally work but God wisely prevents anyone from making money in such an exploitive way like "finding a new gold mine" or "discovering lost treasure". It's much more legal and spiritual to make money off real estate rents and managing for-profit hunting preserves.
Prophets nowdays are much better at receiving inspiration from the Lord. The internet is kind of like a seer stone (at least according to Elder Uchtdorf) and market research is typically performed using the internet. So, in a way, the prophets are using seer stones, just not that one.